Taillight Guards (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This one should draw Junk's wrath:

Been considering taillight guards for some time, and I'd like to hear y'alls opinions on the various manufacturers (Manik, Smittybuilt, Westin, WAAG, GoRhino, others...). What are your experiences / recommendations, please?

Also, with elec. upgrades complete, suggestions on a 'moderate' grill guard.

(There really is a crawler here screaming to get out of it's LX shell. Based on the relatively few rocks in the South Mis'sippi swamps, however, I gotta' ease her into the role

Thanks folks.

I do not care for them. It is easy to hook them on limbs and then they get yanked off and it messes up the quarter :mad:

They look good though 8)

Hadn't really thought of that..good feedback....
Thanks....

Whatever you do don't get one of those sorry dealer wraparound brush guards-they are for a certain leaky british car that I will refrain from mentioning. They wouldn't stand up to much more than tall grass, not to mention don't have winch mounts. And I would think in the Mississippi swamps, like in the GA red clay a winch would be useful. &nbsp:Do yourself a favor and get a Slee or ARB bumper. Slee's is now my favorite. Also-Christo's bumper is better for the rocks than the ARB. I doubt there are many rocks down in Mississippi but you are a lot closer to Utah than I am. ;)

Yeah, those brushguards/tailguards are more for the folks who like to look like they offroad, but don't actually do so. Every time I pull up to some Jeep or Explorer with one of those silly chrome things on, I can't help but laugh. Go with the ARB, I love mine. I can't really speak for the Slee, but I'm sure it is fantastic as well.

Cheers,
John

If Grant Mossman would come out of retirement, his Stout Equipment stuff was very nice also.

Sweet avatar GA :D

BK - if you lived closer to me I'd kick ya in the nuts :D, kidding. &nbsp:DUDE, get a frickin ARB or SLEE .... everything else totally sucks. :D
1_0051.jpg

2_0069.jpg

Of course for approach angles, the arb sucks
Dcp_3136.jpg

If Grant Mossman would come out of retirement, his Stout Equipment stuff was very nice also.
I heard he hurt his hand bad and sold all his equipment. So I doubt he will ever come back.

Junk -

Speaking about guarding the front - especially from deer which is a BIG problem here in NE Calif - those "T" clamps that hold the side rail to the ARB on yours appear to be simply thru-bolted. No?

Is that really sturdy enough (provide enough support for the side rail) to prevent the rail from collapsing, or caving into the fender when a good part of the force is to the side?

... dodging deer in Paradise...

Junk,

Stouts do not suck. You are just jelous because you don't have one like I do...... :D

Wrench, Grant did not pack up because of that..........

He's a friend of mine. Trust me......

He may come back, I'm waiting as fast as I can....

Regards....Dan

Cdan - I don't consider Stouts as part of everything thing else in my quote above since they ain't avail.

Dise - they are bolted. It's .120 DOM tubing and shouldn't cave - although there have been issues as some have seen :-X. It shouldn't pull away from the bullbar or the sliders the way it's clamped in, for example the part that's bolted to the slider is channel that surrounds the tube of the slider and the bolts goes all the way through to help in torque conditions. It's tough to make something that long in distance that won't bend. That said, it has to be bolted instead of welded so when you need to replace a fender you can get to it. :eek: - actually, when I get my slee, it will likely have welded tube from the bumper to the sliders no bolts. :-/

-J-

Got it. Thanks!

-R-

Junk,

Hope to see you in Moab....My Stout is the very last piece Grant made before he folded his tent....It is the only one for an 80 that he made........
 Regards...Dan

Post a pic if ya can Cdan - would love to see it. Unfortunately, I can't go to Moab this year. :mad: Am still going to GSMTR, BHCC and CMCC though. :D

I rode behind a cheby with taillight guards yesterday, they were bent out from catching on stuff. They had rubbed the bodywork and hatch, and looked like they'd catch on more stuff because they stuck out. I'd rather have red plastic tape on broken taillights! Just make sure they're sturdy if you go that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom