Tailgate Play (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

terrapin

SILVER Star
Threads
I've noticed that when I close and latch my LX tailgate I can still push it in and out a few mm. Is this normal or should it be tight?

When I close the top, I can still push it in a out a small amount. I don't notice any rattles when I drive.

I would guess being in a dry climate your seals may have shrunk leading to the fitment issue. I normally suggest Shin-Etsu silicone grease to condition seals, but if they are this far along that may not help. Cheaper than new seals so may want to try that or a similar seal conditioner first. I'm not in front of my rig to confirm they are present on the back, but you may also wish to replace any rubber bump stops that may be present as they would be cheap too and may help shim things up a bit.

this one?
6728160030.jpg

or 6729360020

Actually I think it's more related to this stop, but mine doesn't seem to be excessively hard or worn. The stop moves as a whole so adjusting it doesn't help. Part 6729360020 only contacts the upper hatch.

IMG_0964.JPG

This video shows the movement I am talking about. Maybe it's a non-issue but I was wondering if anybody else's moves like this.

all of the strikers can be adjusted when loosened. yeah other option would be to replace weatherstripping.
or this

9054109075.jpg

Looks like dry seals from the vid, mine doesn't have play. Water and dust would get in pretty easy it would seem.

This video shows the movement I am talking about. Maybe it's a non-issue but I was wondering if anybody else's moves like this.

NO! it should not move that much.
I'd not call that a few mm. I've tightened latches before to corrected similar. On one, we found latch retaining screws were stripped..

It should just pressing into seal, by a few MM.

Thanks everyone. I adjusted the strikers and everything is tight now. I went ahead and ordered the cushions anyway since they are cheap and will take 30 seconds to install. Thanks @kruisinkid for the part numbers.

Full disclosure, when I shot the video the strikers were still out of whack and I hadn't pushed hard enough for that side to fully latch! :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom