Wanted Tailgate handle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MK,
As the handles are both scarce and spendy I made a make shift that worked well. If you pig is function and not perfection this was a good in-tram fix till you can source the real deal.

The handle pulls a set of rod linkages that release the latch on each side. With the tail gate inside cover off and glass out of the way. (You have to do this for a handle job by the way). No comments about a double entendre please. I fashioned a 3/16 rod about 10 inches long that I connected to the gate linkage and out a hole I drilled in the depressed edge of the license plate area of the outer tail gate skin. I welded a ring on the end that when pulled released the latch. I left the old handle in place partially disconnected and no one was the wiser. An effective "Farmer Fix".

Eric.

Not sure I can spend $500 on something that will probably break again. Probably fab something similar off another vehicle way cheaper. Thanks for the offer though.

Clearly a demand for repops...I wonder if the fellow doing mirrors can do a handle run? Hmmm?

Clearly a demand for repops...I wonder if the fellow doing mirrors can do a handle run? Hmmm?

I think John @SLOCRUISER has had his share of heartache over low volume after developing products. I could be wrong.

It would be pretty cool if he could come up with a repro tailgate handle!

It would be pretty cool if he could come up with a repro tailgate handle!

I thought Jason @reevesci was working on one , but not certain.

it is definitely a cost to fabricate to how many would be sold issue. even if it is just the outer piece that you would change the rivets out versus an entire unit.

it is definitely a cost to fabricate to how many would be sold issue. even if it is just the outer piece that you would change the rivets out versus an entire unit.

Mine pig is 74...don't recall rivets?? But yeah parts to keep these alive are priceless - so long as buyers are willing I guess.

I believe you are correct sir - my bad!

Mine pig is 74...don't recall rivets?? But yeah parts to keep these alive are priceless - so long as buyers are willing I guess.

the 2 rivets where the outer handle pivots on the mounted part of the handle. All the ones I've seen broken, the movable part breaks, the main mounted piece is still good. drill out the rivets and insert new piece and use some screw or some round stock to make new hinge pins.

Some have special bolts installed all ready and some are rivets. I have both types. The tailgate is cut out for the riveted type, so you can install the whole handle as one piece. The bolted type has thinner slots in the tailgate and you have to assemble it in the tailgate.

it would be nice if someone did reproduce these.

I guess the tough part on doing a repro run is waiting to move inventory, it will eventually sell but with varying speed.

I will likely need pair of mirrors and a handle after mine sees enough use, but don't need either right now...and I am still busy gathering stuff I currently need before stocking up on spares.

I would buy a tailgate handle if reproduced. Just say'n!

the question then becomes....at what price point? $200? $250? $300?
it would be small production and as stated above, who ever made these could end up sitting on the inventory for years.

has anyone attempted to just weld the broken one back together before? Feels fairly heavy has some meat to it. Terrible design toyota!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom