tail pipe size? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today I had a new tail pipe welded on from the muffler back.
My other one rusted so I had it replaces.
Well my old one was like 2.5" and my new one is smaller MAYBE 2" could be smaller.
Would this make my truck slower of the line? Should I go through the trouble of having it changed to a 2.5" tail pipe?

What are you guys running

Thanks

if you change your total exhaus line, from 2.5" to 2" now you can get more advantages from your engine torque.

Now you have more restricted your exhaust, geting more backpresure. In the other line, in the other line, you maybe need more time ( seconds ) to get up your RPM's ..

Shoudl I make them change it to 2.5? Does back pressure cause more torque?
I always thought the less restriction the faster the motor would spin

They say it's ok to run a smaller tailpipe tha primary exhaust pipes. It is because the exhaust pipes and mufflers dissipate heat, the volume of exhaust gas is less by the time it reaches the tailpipe, thus not requiring as large a tailpipe.
Here's an article:
http://www.boyleworks.com/ta400/psp/exhaust2.html

I still like my 3" tailpipe though :D
aaalc58g.jpg

More torque means more strain on our old engines. I think 2.5" is a happy medium allowing more breathing room without losing a lot of back end pessure. You can always adjust your idle to help you off the line. I just upgraded to 2.5" pipe from the headers back and couldn't be happier! Just my .02.

If i go mufflerless with a 2.5 inch pipe will that decrease my torque even more?

panama said:
Shoudl I make them change it to 2.5? Does back pressure cause more torque?

More ( but not close the exhaust line jejejeje ) backpresure supply en general lines more skill to the engine to get more torque.

In a racing car, or a really big blok engine, when you up your RPM's , you don't need torque, or need less .. in this moment the power HP user the total amout of rpm's to move your car.

Realy the theori is more complicated, but here are some general lines ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom