Tail and Marker light problems 82 fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been searching forums for my problem, but most fall short of what it took to fix the problem. I was installing a trailer plug yesterday and everything worked fine. Got in truck to drive it to work and no tail lights, marker lights, or dash lights. Hazard lights work. Lights and brakes lights also work fine. Checked fuses and all bulbs and all are fine. Used a test light and have pwr at the fuse block but no pwr at the tail lights. Could I have shorted out the hazard relay and caused this problem? There is also a tail light relay, but if this would have gone out I wouldn't think I would have pwer at the fuse block according to the electrical diagram I have? If anyone has had this problem I would greatly appreciate some help. Electrical frustrates me to no end. Thanks guys.
Jim

Last edited:
It does sound like a relay. Do you have the book to show you which one is for the tail lights? Maybe if there is one with same part number you can swap to make sure it is the relay. Also if you pull it you can test it if you have a multimeter.

Also check your fusiable link in the wiring just off the battery.

Unfortunately I can't find one that is the same so I can switch it. Nocalfj60 I do have a multimeter, but never really know how to use the dam thing. Is there a resource that you know of that describes how to use a multimeter. Thanks for your imput.

If you know which one it is, then if you hold it while you turn on the switch you might be able to feel the relay engage or not engage. How many pins does the relay have? I will look for a resource to tell you how to use a meter.

I do know which one it is. I can feel it engage and disengage with the light switch. Does this mean it is still working?

Hey socalfj60 thanks for your help. I found the headlight relay and called the part store and it appears the head light and the tail light relay are the same so I switched them and the tail lights worked again. so it appears that even though I can feel it engage and disengage it is bad. Looks like a 19 dollar part. Thanks so much for your help. Someday maybe I will learn how to use that damn multimeter!

TopJimmie said:
I do know which one it is. I can feel it engage and disengage with the light switch. Does this mean it is still working?

Chances are it is good but it could still be bad. Look at the wiring under steering wheel. Do all the connectors look tight? Check the fuses one more time. Setup the meter to read voltage dc. Turn on the head lights.. Now put one lead on each side of that fuse. If you measure 12V the fuse is open.

Also you can pull the fuse and use the meter to measure the resistance. On a good fuse it will read close to 0-1 ohms and on a bad one it will read a infinite resistance.

TopJimmie said:
Hey socalfj60 thanks for your help. I found the headlight relay and called the part store and it appears the head light and the tail light relay are the same so I switched them and the tail lights worked again. so it appears that even though I can feel it engage and disengage it is bad. Looks like a 19 dollar part. Thanks so much for your help. Someday maybe I will learn how to use that damn multimeter!

Sweet...
:cheers:

TopJimmie said:
Unfortunately I can't find one that is the same so I can switch it. Nocalfj60 I do have a multimeter, but never really know how to use the dam thing. Is there a resource that you know of that describes how to use a multimeter. Thanks for your imput.

Radio Shack has a book titled something like "how to use your multi-meter" It's a good start.

There are also some websites that can help. One of them (pretty basic) is:
http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=1112

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom