Tacho wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I’m new here and do apologise if I’m posting this in the wrong area or if it has already been answered. If it has been answered can someone point me in the right direction.

Now I just got a HJ75 Ute with the 2H and the tacho was a aftermarket thing that is just terrible. I’ve got an original replacement but don’t know what wires go where. It has the 3 copper screw holes for the wires. I have a brown, a blue, and a black wire. Can someone please shoot some advice my way or a diagram on what coloured wires go where and how they’re fitted? I’m sure it’s simple but would rather be 100% sure before messing with anything.

Again, apologies if this isn’t the correct place to post this. I’m still getting my head around the website.

Could you post a few photos of what you currently have as well as your current cluster and the new tach you have?

The photo with the red terminals is the one it currently has in it now, the aftermarket one, and it doesn’t fit. I have an original replacement identical to the first picture.

IMG_3161.png

IMG_3162.png

IMG_3163.jpeg

IMG_3131.jpeg

Is that your current cluster? Or what is actually in the car now? That cluster is a photo from the junkyard.

If you have the H engine, I believe the tach pickup is right at the injection pump. You should see one or two wires going to it back there.

Is that your current cluster? Or what is actually in the car now? That cluster is a photo from the junkyard.

If you have the H engine, I believe the tach pickup is right at the injection pump. You should see one or two wires going to it back there.

H/2H/12H-T engines ran the tachometer off of the flywheel/flex plate (depending if it was manual or automatic) in the bell housing, not off of the IP. Totally different system.

H/2H/12H-T engines ran the tachometer off of the flywheel/flex plate (depending if it was manual or automatic) in the bell housing, not off of the IP. Totally different system.
My bad. Thank you. I'm thinking the 1H family.

Apologies, the photos were just for reference but I will upload some now.

In the picture I added where I have circled the terminals I’m basically wondering what wires go to what terminals?

*The wires I’m referencing are the black, blue, brown wires plugged into aftermarket tachometer in the above photos.

IMG_3166.jpeg

IMG_3161.jpeg

You're going to need to remove the cluster and see what is wired into it. I would also recommend getting a wiring diagram (under the RESOURCES tab above or via the CRUISER CULT website). That will show you which wires do what behind the cluster.

Strange that they installed an aftermarket tach. They had a reason for doing that. Either their tach broke, and they couldn't fix it, or they somehow thought it would be an upgrade to factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom