tach help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
need some help from someone with a factory tach. im thinking of making a reproduction or two and need some dimensional help. Well not the tach its self but the surround

ill also buy one if someone is selling , but i understand that they are as rare as rocking horse s***. condition doesn't matter.

like some start up measurements for some designing , and a picture or too of the back side of the mount.

thanks all for looking , and anyone that helps.
1983BJ42tach.jpg
Copy of 1983BJ42tach.jpg

id like to size the new ones for the bj60's tach which is i think is about the standard 2 5/8's size like this autometer diesels gauge
tach1.JPG
3788_d.jpg

Hedgehog, here are a couple of pics, I am currently in the process of doing "teebag"s install.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/227658-building-factory-tachometer-fj40.html

Measurement F, appears to be 0.75 of an inch, and below that appears to be 1 inch, both at the shortest points. Teebag has been a huge help in sending me in the write direction.

I got my tach off of ebay australlia, 55 USD shipped to my door, i sent my paypal Friday night, and NO BS, i got it the following Tuesday.

However I am confused as hell about the wiring, I know the Red and black wire and the white and black wire are for the light, where the hell do the other three wires go?

Thanks,

Richard
018.jpg
019.jpg
020.jpg

here are some pics of the back side, and my template, I think this is one of the neatest ideas I have ever seen, I think it looks really sharp! According to a vendor I contacted on this board, this bezel is no longer made, so what is out there is it, unless of course you come up with a better idea!!!
015.jpg
036.jpg
037.jpg

I was toying with making replica bezels about 6 months ago. I went so far as to make the tooling and a few prototypes, but eventually abandoned the project because its impossible to match the gauge cluster color.

I tried 7 different Toyota color codes, aftermarket paints from cruiser vendors, and off-the-shelf can - nothing comes closer than "sorta".

Heres a shot of how close I got. Original part is on the steering wheel, replica hanging off the knob.

attachment.php

I also kinda figured that people who were desperate for an OEM tach were probably not the sort who wanted to cut the epic hole in the dash that these things require. :meh:

I just remembered some more details. I was trying to install aftermarket tachometers so that I didn't have to try and source a used tach. Had trouble finding one in the right size.

3 3/8" tachs turned out to be too big (I used an Equus 6088)

2 3/4" tachs were too small (I used an Autometer 2306)

For some reason Autometer doesn't make anything in between those two! Actually there might have been like one option in 3 1/8", but there was something wrong with it - it was either super expensive or had the wrong style of face - I don't remember.

That, plus the paint problem, shifted this project to my "indefinite back burner". I've still got the tooling, but not the motivation. :D

Here's a pic of a fresh one.
PIC-0049.jpg

I was toying with making replica bezels about 6 months ago.
attachment.php

I would love to buy one of those replicas and fiddle myself, I have no tools to make the fascia, but can do the rest, and toy a bit more with the color ;)
Would you sell one of the clear ones?

Amaurer, that looked great!!! How did you make that??? I would really like to know!!

I took out my gauge cluster, glove box face, ash tray, and bumperettes, and sanded and repainted all at the same time, so the colors would match. I know cool cruisers sells paint that, as far as i can tell, is an exact match to the original, or close enough for my tired eyes.

wow they look good amaurer. i was going to make mine from aluminum , paint it the same color i painted the spedo. im not restoring my rig, im rebuilding it with tasteful mods. like Grey is close , and 33" tires , with a lift is cool. Tube fenders , v8 , full cage , is not. i think your reproductions would appeal to my type of crowd.

Id like one of your reproductions , if for nothing else but measurements. if the whole thing looks like too much trouble id might use it.

thanks again for the responses guys.

VDO makes tachs in 3 1/8" for about 74 (Cockpit) and 77 (Vision) dollars, the Vision series might be an okay match for font.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom