Building a "Factory" Tachometer for the FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.gotbezel.com
Well the FJ40 never came from Japan with a revcounter fitted as standard, so my options were either to fit an after market VDO type gauge, that is marked to 8,000rpm and only use half the dial, or to try and source something more stock - Toyota-ish.

Now the BJ42LX did come with a nice little gauge, fitted just to the right of the gauge cluster in RHD markets, so the 1st step was to source one of these.

tp01.jpg

Via a contact on Mud we located a spare and collection was made by Keith during a business trip to Australia. Thank you Rob and Keith.

Problem is the tach in the BJ works via a magnet in the flywheel and a hall-effect sensor in the bell housing, kind of like an over grown bicycle computer. Well after receiving and testing the gauge on a friends BJ, I was in 2 minds whether to go to all the hassle to continue with the project...

Funny how ideas come to you at odd times, I am not sure what I was doing when my thoughts returned to the tach, and I remembered that my FJ60 had a small round tach in the centre of the gauge cluster, maybe it would work! After a few weeks we managed to source one locally and the project was back on track.

1st off get some snacks, can be hungry work ;)
tp02.jpg

FJ60 - Left, BJ42LX Right
tp03.jpg

FJ
tp04.jpg

BJ - ignore pen, it is wrong
tp05.jpg

FJ
tp06.jpg

BJ
tp07.jpg

tp08.jpg

tp09.jpg

tp10.jpg

These pins had to be removed with the Dremel in order to rotate the circuit board.
tp11.jpg

And the case modified slightly so it would all fit in its new home.
tp12.jpg

Nearly there
tp13.jpg

All done, bar a lick of paint on surround.
tp14.jpg

Just need to test it before I cut the hole in the dash, would hate to do that if it does not work, watch this space.

Last edited:
wow nice! I assume u are running the stock engine? I'm trying to figure out how I want to keep the original toyota look while getting useful gauges for my sb350.

Slick and I want one....

That is really nice - great idea and even better implementation. Now, I would also like one for my V8.

When are you going to start taking orders.

Now that's cool:cool: ! Did it work? If you can't have OEM, make OEM. Great work.:cheers: Brendon

Finally got round to testing on Friday, after flying my electronics expert (wire holder) and German engineer (jeigermeister pourer) from up country. We located a suitable test mule (Getafix - 3F equipped 75 Series) at JB's Auto. With some speaker wire to connect to the battery, and another for the - signal on the coil, we fired up the mule and the counter read a perfect 600RPM, blip the throttle and the needle rose and fell with the engine revs - Perfect...

...now to cut the dash before the tub goes for painting :(

1st a template
3706577480_302b8d064a_o.jpg

3705767143_bfe5edf702_o.jpg

What have I done?
3706577680_2b4e9de3bf_o.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. Looks great. I almost picked up a tach down under a couple of years ago but thought the task too daunting to swap from diesel to petrol. Wish I would of gotten one now. Once again excellent job!

So, JT, when will the production line be up and running? :lol:

Super work! :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom