t-18 to 3-speed

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by kstatecruiser, May 6, 2003.

1. kstatecruiser

kstatecruiser

I've looked at Advance Adapters website and they don't seem to offer an adapter for a t-18 to a 3-speed transfercase. Has anyone done this or is this a stupid idea. Maybe I should go with the sm420 instead. I am getting a 351 soon, so I thought it would be easier to use the t-18 since this combo came in the early big broncos.

Thanks

Scott

2. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    Look for a T18 to a Dana-18 t-case....IIRC, that's the double-offset case and there are 4:1 gears available.

Also search for Novak adapters and check them.

Is the T18 the granny low or the T19??

3. kstatecruiser

kstatecruiser

I'm pretty sure it is the T-18.  It's something like 6.32:1.  Don't quote me on that number, but it's low.  I have one in my 89 bronco and I have to drive it like a 3-speed (start out in second) because first is so low, but on the trail it is great.

I'll check with novak.

Thanks woody

4. Tazman

Tazman

You might consider the NP-435 granny low tranny. These came out in the 70's-80's Fords. They are a great transmission with a low gear somewhere around 6.7:1 ratio. They are a lot more plentiful than the T-18 or T-19. Should bolt right up to that Ford engine.

Good Luck...
    Tazman

5. sfrolich

sfrolich

Hi,
    The T-18 is non-sync'd granny low while the T-19 is fully sync'd with 4:1 1st (I think). I went with the T-19 in my old 60 CJ5 and Ford 302 when I had it. Worked great since I didn't do rock crawling.

Scott

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.