Swiss Poverty Pack Barn Door HDJ80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

now im inspired to find my perfect 73
sounds like the best possible vacation

Way overdue for an update here. I've been doing some maintenance+modifications here and there and I'll get to that, but we went for a little road trip over last weekend to view the eclipse and I thought I'd share some photos. We left Boulder Friday morning headed for Utah. It was the first time taking the 80 over the passes (Eisenhower Tunnel and Vail Pass)--no problem at all. Gotta love the 1HD-FT.

Stopped for peach pie in Palisade:
pie shop.jpg

pie and ice cream.jpg

Next photo opportunity was the wonderful light along the river on highway 128 (the Cisco cutoff):
Cisco cutoff.jpg

Made it to Moab on half a tank! 25.8mpg at 75mph (on the GPS). 2600rpm. Topped off the tank and continued south to Blanding to get into the area of eclipse totality. Here's our campsite the next morning:
camp morning.jpg

And I made a simple pinhole projector to view the eclipse:
total eclipse.jpg

After the big eclipse was over, we spent the rest of the day hiking around. Found some neat stuff:
ruin.jpg

rock art 2.jpg

rock art 3.jpg

pottery shards 2.jpg

arrowhead.jpg

I know, not really tech, but this kind of trip is what I bought the 80 for.

Way overdue for an update here. I've been doing some maintenance+modifications here and there and I'll get to that, but we went for a little road trip over last weekend to view the eclipse and I thought I'd share some photos. We left Boulder Friday morning headed for Utah. It was the first time taking the 80 over the passes (Eisenhower Tunnel and Vail Pass)--no problem at all. Gotta love the 1HD-FT.

Stopped for peach pie in Palisade:
View attachment 3459078
View attachment 3459079

Next photo opportunity was the wonderful light along the river on highway 128 (the Cisco cutoff):
View attachment 3459087

Made it to Moab on half a tank! 25.8mpg at 75mph (on the GPS). 2600rpm. Topped off the tank and continued south to Blanding to get into the area of eclipse totality. Here's our campsite the next morning:
View attachment 3459090

And I made a simple pinhole projector to view the eclipse:
View attachment 3459091

Great acquisition story and cool trip to Moab! I'm jealous of that 26 mpg.

It looks like you also settled on a wheel and tire combo ;)

235/85/16 Toyo Open Country A/Ts? What steelies are those? Rig looks great!

Last edited:
I actually chose the wheels before I figured out what tires to get. They're 3rd Gen 4Runner spares, 42601-35750. 16x7 with about 4.5" backspacing. They fit a flareless 80 perfectly without spacers.
42601 35750 wheel label.jpg

I had some OEM split rims here in original paint, so I had the paint shop color match the gray and I painted the whole set of wheels:
wheels freshly painted.jpg

I was after that NATO-spec look, since the car's vibe is all "poverty pack". I think it turned out OK:
tires mounted 10-12-23.jpg
rear tire 10-12-23.jpg

The original tires on this car were (honestly) 215/80R16. It still had the original spare underneath. Not even 30" diameter:
original spare.jpg
215 80R16.jpg

The tires that were on it when I got it were 225/75R16, which actually has a slightly smaller diameter than the originals. The original wheels were 16x6. I chose the 16x7 wheels so I would have my choice of a wider variety of tire sizes, and settled on 235/85R16, 265/75R16, or 255/85R16 as the most desirable candidates. I ruled out the 255's since all I could find were M/T's and I wanted A/T's for this car (I might revisit the 255's next time I need tires, though). Of course I could get wider wheels and much larger tires, but I'm not into the "sticking out past the fender" look (though I get that it has advantages in some off-road situations). I decided to go with the 235's on a lark--I could just as easily have gone with the 265's. The great thing about either is that their diameter makes the speedo read dead-on correct. And yes, I went with Toyo's. I've had them on some of my other Landcruisers and really like them. I almost tried the Falkens, but waffled at the last minute and got the known commodity.

I actually chose the wheels before I figured out what tires to get. They're 3rd Gen 4Runner spares, 42601-35750. 16x7 with about 4.5" backspacing. They fit a flareless 80 perfectly without spacers.
View attachment 3542135

I had some OEM split rims here in original paint, so I had the paint shop color match the gray and I painted the whole set of wheels:
View attachment 3542143

I was after that NATO-spec look, since the car's vibe is all "poverty pack". I think it turned out OK:
View attachment 3542147View attachment 3542148

The original tires on this car were (honestly) 215/80R16. It still had the original spare underneath. Not even 30" diameter:
View attachment 3542150View attachment 3542151

The tires that were on it when I got it were 225/75R16, which actually has a slightly smaller diameter than the originals. The original wheels were 16x6. I chose the 16x7 wheels so I would have my choice of a wider variety of tire sizes, and settled on 235/85R16, 265/75R16, or 255/85R16 as the most desirable candidates. I ruled out the 255's since all I could find were M/T's and I wanted A/T's for this car (I might revisit the 255's next time I need tires, though). Of course I could get wider wheels and much larger tires, but I'm not into the "sticking out past the fender" look (though I get that it has advantages in some off-road situations). I decided to go with the 235's on a lark--I could just as easily have gone with the 265's. The great thing about either is that their diameter makes the speedo read dead-on correct. And yes, I went with Toyo's. I've had them on some of my other Landcruisers and really like them. I almost tried the Falkens, but waffled at the last minute and got the known commodity.
Well, I think you nailed it with the wheel choice, color match, and tire choice. I think it actually looks more NATO-spec with the updated wheels and tires.

Plus, with a more common wheel size you have more tire options (like you mentioned). Love that you’re embracing the “Poverty Pack” vibe.

This is such a cool truck. Looking forward to more photos/adventures.

Last edited:
View attachment 3542150View attachment 3542151

The tires that were on it when I got it were 225/75R16, which actually has a slightly smaller diameter than the originals. The original wheels were 16x6. I chose the 16x7 wheels so I would have my choice of a wider variety of tire sizes, and settled on 235/85R16, 265/75R16, or 255/85R16 as the most desirable candidates. I ruled out the 255's since all I could find were M/T's and I wanted A/T's for this car (I might revisit the 255's next time I need tires, though). SNIP
Great thread, looking forward to whatever comes next.

Those tires seem like somewhat of a throwback to an earlier Land Cruiser era. My 1976 FJ55 came with 28" tires, don't recall the exact size or rim specs. Made it to the second stream crossing up the Holy Cross City trail on them, but that was in the days before really huge tires under the heavy foot of folks that seem to go for max wheel spin on 35"-plus rubber rutting everything out.

I'm partial to 255/85R16 myself. They catch minimal wind, give adequate clearance, and put less strain on components than their larger cousins, as well as airing down to a nice long footprint.

Never ran ion Falkens, but have hear good things about snow performance.

Well...again, not really tech, but another great trip to Utah last weekend. For as long as I've been bouncing around in the Utah desert, I'd never done the White Rim Road in Canyonlands NP. Now I have. Four days, three nights. Honestly could have been there longer as I felt there was a lot more to see. The Landcruiser performed flawlessly. Does great on the highway, does great on the trail. This car is SO good on this kind of terrain. Here's a few photos of the trip:
IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

White-Rim-Steve-8A.jpg

White-Rim-Steve-12A.jpg

White-Rim-Steve-14A.jpg

White-Rim-Steve-9A.jpg

I love this truck and this story so much.

Well...again, not really tech, but another great trip to Utah last weekend. For as long as I've been bouncing around in the Utah desert, I'd never done the White Rim Road in Canyonlands NP. Now I have. Four days, three nights. Honestly could have been there longer as I felt there was a lot more to see. The Landcruiser performed flawlessly. Does great on the highway, does great on the trail. This car is SO good on this kind of terrain. Here's a few photos of the trip:
View attachment 3570500
View attachment 3570504
View attachment 3570506
View attachment 3570509
View attachment 3570510
View attachment 3570511
View attachment 3570512
View attachment 3570513
This is so badass. I love that you're using this truck for it's intended purpose. Keep it up!

yup, barn door cruisers are the way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom