Swing out spare tire carrier? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve been contemplating build a swing out carrier for my spare. The one option out there that mounts on the door doesn’t really appeal to me, too much weight on the door. My design has the base mounting to the frame and the carrier would swing out in unison with the door. What do you guys think? Would it sell?View attachment 2404707View attachment 2404708
I like it. Looks like its been a year or so since this post. I'd buy something like this. How much would it cost me?

Been busy with this.

0F11F3A5-831B-447C-9E39-6D2E5E3B7A34.jpeg

I have an or
I’ve been contemplating build a swing out carrier for my spare. The one option out there that mounts on the door doesn’t really appeal to me, too much weight on the door. My design has the base mounting to the frame and the carrier would swing out in unison with the door. What do you guys think? Would it sell?

I’m also not an electrical guy, but watched plenty of TV in the 80s. This is some explosive device he’s meant to diffuse
DON'T CUT THE BLUE WIRE!!!! o_O
Cut the ORANGE wire!!

Last edited:
Not being an electrical guy, I'll go ahead and ask the stupid question: what is it and what does it do? It's not the inside of a PC. (or is it??)
CNC Milling machine, building it and wish I had just bought one ready to go..

CNC Milling machine, building it and wish I had just bought one ready to go..
Ahh, so those vertical black do-hickies are the x, y, z controllers?
I'd love to have a small bench top CNC mill to go with both my FDM 3D printer and resin 3D printer!
I have a small Prazi bench top lathe, even though I don't use it too much it's a blessing when I need to turn something!

Ahh, so those vertical black do-hickies are the x, y, z controllers?
I'd love to have a small bench top CNC mill to go with both my FDM 3D printer and resin 3D printer!
I have a small Prazi bench top lathe, even though I don't use it too much it's a blessing when I need to turn something!
You are correct! Those do-hickies are the controllers, I’m using a Acorn board for the control. I just started with 3dp and bought a Voxelab Aquila, my kid loves all the little toys I make with it.

Reactions: r2m
Just going to pile on here... this swingout is badass. Short of the unobtainium OEM Prado 150 door, this thing is the most elegant spare-carrying solution yet.

If this was available I'd whip out my billfold so fast I'd get wallet burn.

Funny how everyone is oogoling over the Prado rear door tire carrier. Toyota must not have thought they weren't all that hot since after about 12 years of having the spare tire hanging off the rear door of the Rav4's, they moved it under-carriage.
Just stirring the pot! 😁

Funny how everyone is oogoling over the Prado rear door tire carrier. Toyota must not have thought they weren't all that hot since after about 12 years of having the spare tire hanging off the rear door of the Rav4's, they moved it under-carriage.
Just stirring the pot! 😁
I mean, you have a point given the fact that the Aussies were still having issues. Add a plus size tire and it’s a recipe for disaster. We need better options…like this insanely nice build.

I literally just installed the Wilco high clearance after modding it a touch. Plan to do more modding with it. So far I like it but I’m sure my departure angle has been cut down. I’ll see real world applications soon enough.

I mean, you have a point given the fact that the Aussies were still having issues. Add a plus size tire and it’s a recipe for disaster. We need better options…like this insanely nice build.
What issues have Aussies had with Prado 150 doors? I've heard the Prado 120 doors have integrity issues when paired with plus size tire, but nothing regarding 150 doors...

What issues have Aussies had with Prado 150 doors? I've heard the Prado 120 doors have integrity issues when paired with plus size tire, but nothing regarding 150 doors...
I read, although I can’t find the source now, that they were also looking for ways to reinforce the door because they were encountering similar issues. From what I surmise, the issues was with the door swinging open uncontrolled. I wish I could further quantify this but it is the sum of my many hours of research. What I deduced is that it is in fact the reason the spare was moved underneath the rig and the reason many guys have encountered issues of a similar nature with the JWOffroad type of units. All of this lead me to the hitch mounted option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom