Swing out spare tire carrier? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

there's a substantial market for something like this that is currently not being met

lot of people out there want to go with bigger tires and also want to mount a spare without hacking up half the vehicle to mount it. It looks OEM+, it supports the weight, and critically it doesnt complicate and add time to opening of the rear door. A lot of people use these vehicles as their daily drivers, and the idea of having to add another few steps every time to open the rear door is not appealing. It also retains the functionality of the hitch receiver without the cheese of the hitch mount spare options.

these would sell well if you built them

Yeah, I want! I am in San Antonio and would be totally down to go up to DFW for one. Better yet I would for sure take a weld it together kit and could weld it up at my place.

I am very surprised you're getting flex. Is it at the hinge?
I'm sure you're not getting flex from that dual tube arm.
For future builds, would a larger diameter and taller hinge mitigate the flex? Assuming that's were you're getting the flex.
Or is the bumper mount doing a beam flex along the length of the bumper from where it mounts to the frame?
I’m thinking hinge area, may just go with a bushing instead of bearings. Still some brain storming to do before I complete V2.

If you go to McMaster-Carr, they have bronze oil embedded sleeved bushing that would work just as good as bearings.

there's a substantial market for something like this that is currently not being met

lot of people out there want to go with bigger tires and also want to mount a spare without hacking up half the vehicle to mount it. It looks OEM+, it supports the weight, and critically it doesnt complicate and add time to opening of the rear door. A lot of people use these vehicles as their daily drivers, and the idea of having to add another few steps every time to open the rear door is not appealing. It also retains the functionality of the hitch receiver without the cheese of the hitch mount spare options.

these would sell well if you built them

Or if you weren't interested in building them, maybe you could license it to another entity for production?

This is awesome. I've been looking at every solution and this one checks all of the boxes for me. +1 very interested

Count me in as HIGHLY interested. I’ve been thinking of different swing out designs for 33” but would love to simply buy a swing out or even a partially built kit.

Facebook blew up when I posted it. I have to develope a stiffer mount that goes to the frame of the GX. This is the pickle..
You probably already know this but maybe the double sheer will make things stiffer

And doing it like a few 470s on Facebook with a lock on the passenger side using 1410061-Swing Out Tire Carrier Latch Assembly - https://www.4xinnovations.com/Swing-Out-Tire-Carrier-Latch-Assembly_p_110.html

Would make the weight be distributed across both sides.

Maybe even having additional support underneath using the hitch mounting locations.

I personally will not be going rock crawling and just need a way to carry a bigger spare and hopefully a couple additional accessories on the swing out. I don't understand adding 400 lbs to the most rear point of a vehicle with a heavy steel bumper and accessories.

You probably already know this but maybe the double sheer will make things stiffer

And doing it like a few 470s on Facebook with a lock on the passenger side using 1410061-Swing Out Tire Carrier Latch Assembly - https://www.4xinnovations.com/Swing-Out-Tire-Carrier-Latch-Assembly_p_110.html

Would make the weight be distributed across both sides.

Maybe even having additional support underneath using the hitch mounting locations.

I personally will not be going rock crawling and just need a way to carry a bigger spare and hopefully a couple additional accessories on the swing out. I don't understand adding 400 lbs to the most rear point of a vehicle with a heavy steel bumper and accessories.
Double shear is probably the way to go. However the lack of a latch on the opposite side is part of the beauty of this solution. The strut attached to the door allows you to open the door as normal without an extra latch.
I love the simplicity of this solution and wouldn’t want to mount other stuff on it , personally.

WOW, great work @Olgx460! Keeping an eye on this thread for V2 and possible purchase if you're making a few for sale.

For the newer model rear bumper, I'm guessing we would need to cut a bigger hole to fit the hinge?

This is absolutely the cleanest look I’ve seen. And it so greatly addresses a need for our rigs and the growing community of people using the GX for its intended purpose. Without a solution like this, what other options are there? The hitch design is okay but not great and certainly a compromise. For me and my 34” tires, my only other real option is going to be a roof platform or basket with the spare up there when I’m going off road. Otherwise I’m driving without a spare. While I’m fit and athletic, lifting a heavy weight such as that over your head repeatedly makes one prone to injury. This isn’t an option for some and one I’m not overly thrilled about.

This really is a great solution and the cleanest I’ve seen. You definitely have a product here and it could be a good side hustle if you’re willing with time and materials. Nicely done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom