Swing Out Comparisons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am in the market for a rear bumper. I am just a little skeptical if I will like the swing outs...I had one on my jeep and it was a pain in the butt. It was made by WARN and the swivel always needed to have grease in it or it would seize up right away...

Anyway, who has compared any of the major brands? Reactions? One more user friendly? Does it come with a "stopper" so that it won't close on you when it is open? (if that makes any sense...)

I truly like the idea of a rear bumper but not sold on the swing out concept just yet...

Thanks,
Mike

I'm looking at swing outs too but I've bascially limited my choice to Slee just based off of design and fit and finish. Slee makes a standard steel bumper without swingouts and then the make the bumper available with swingouts. Wish I could help you out with more info.

yes, the swing outs are a bit of a pain. But many think they are desirable anyway for all the obvious reasons.

Haven't read of many serious issues with the swivels on the bumpers we are familiar with here. Certainly my 80 Kaymar is going strong without the need for frequent maintenance.

I think the most user friendly carriers will have an offset tire (less swing area) and utilize gas struts rather than lock pins. Obviously, two swing-outs will be more trouble than one.

i am in the market for a rear bumper. I am just a little skeptical if I will like the swing outs...I had one on my jeep and it was a pain in the butt.

Anyway, who has compared any of the major brands? Reactions? One more user friendly? Does it come with a "stopper" so that it won't close on you when it is open? (if that makes any sense...)

Thanks,
Mike

I have the Slee bumper with both swing outs. And it does add a couple of steps in order to get to your rear cargo area. However it does move your spare from underneath to a safer location, as well as giving your Hi Lift storage and a ladder so your kids can put the surfboards on top!

It also comes with a two position locking pin. One position locks the arm in the closed position in case you forget the latches, and the other locks in the open position. In the photo the black ball to the left of the spindle is the locking pin.
slee.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback...Still debating...I might get the bumper without swingouts first and go from there...I think you can add them later, right?

Yes, with Slee's rear bumper you can add the swing-outs later. I called two months ago and confirmed this.

I have two spindles on mine... anytime I want to add a swing-out I just pick it up and bolt it on.

yup, I had sort of concluded that was the way to go for trucks that are mostly used in town. I would likely go that if used mine as a DD. After all, I don't think I've had to use my spare tires in town ever over the last 10 or 15 yrs. And the can either. Takes all of 5 mins to add the swingouts.

I've had both Kaymar and 4x4Labs for the 80. Never any issues with seizing. Both had quality ball bearing sets and are packed with grease and sealed.

Current bumper has no spindles. I am not hard-core wheeling with the 100, it is more of a family truck. So daily convenience is key, thus no carriers, and no plans for any. I am currently running I4C4LO's original custom bumper, it is a beautiful thing. Can't take swing outs, but it is the tightest bumper to the frame possible without cutting off the rear crossmember. Many of you have probably seen it at Pismo and other places. I personally watched it go through the Rubicon (well, when he happened to be driving in front of me) and that thing is stout, and the departure angle is awesome for such a big wagon.

I am currently running I4C4LO's original custom bumper.

Hate to ask, but do you happen to have a picture? I saw it in a picture but it was from a distance and couldn't really see it that well.

thanks

I messed with a Slee dual swing out quite a bit this weekend and was impressed with it.
It had his new 3 can holder mounted to the ladder and it is exactly what I've been looking for.
It's on the list!

Hate to ask, but do you happen to have a picture? I saw it in a picture but it was from a distance and couldn't really see it that well.

thanks

Here are a couple pics of my 80, but Luke's 100 bumper is very similar. Both require cutting off the rear crossmember and about 4" of the frame rails. Which, for a wheeler, is a good thing IMHO. Helps improve one of the major shortcomings of the LC wagons: fat rear ends.
Image-04A3B948B23B11DA.jpg
Derek on Big Sluice.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom