Sway bar links (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've always tried to maintain the same preload on sway bars that cars came with as new.
Toyota put the preload there for a reason, if any.
Just like rod and CV angle, corner weight, etc
Deviating from that is always a compromise, good and bad.

I need to think on this a bit. Are you saying that with a torsion bar starting perpendicular, you'll get more angular displacement in the bar for any given vertical displacement of the end link? More displacement = more load. I can concede there.

Now, in application, are we approaching that regime where we are losing enough angular deflection for any given vertical displacement, that it will make a difference? I'm still going to say no. I just put an angle finder on my rear arm, can someone with extended rear links, and someone with factory links and no lift, provide something similar? I'd like to see what the delta's look like.

Note, my rig has OME heavies, Slee rear bumper, and factory end links. Sitting level in my sideyard:
I realize this number is not a perfect measurement, it isn't perfectly in line with the pivot of the end link or the bushing centerline on the bar... but seeing the difference when measured similarly on other rigs, we can use it to see how much angular change the extend arms induce.
View attachment 2215781

3893DC65-E6C3-4DD1-97A2-DABB1FA71113.jpeg

I have extended links on both ends, 2” lift with Ironman TOY13B springs (0-200kg). Not sure how this compares to OME spring- maybe medium.

My dive into engineering lasted two semesters. My head hurts reading this thread- its an interesting discussion and display of engineering knowledge but I need visuals to help understand this better.

So when I was under my truck this weekend (image below is just for illustration), I noticed my front sway bar end links were firmly in the up right position and I couldn't get them to rotate along the axis in the red (if that makes sense) with my hands. I was wondering if the end links when appropriately torque (nut ~18 ft lb and bolt ~38 ft lb) should they be able to freely rotate on the red axis or should they stay in the upright position and resist rotating on that axis?
1593467379435.png

Figured I'd post on an existing thread.

> My truck just seems to have too much body roll in the corners and at highway speeds. I'm wondering if maybe a stiffer bushing in the sway bar link would help with the roll or if this is just the way she goes.

• Everything up front has been replaced since I've owned the truck , it's all tight and OEM
  • New OEM steering rack and outter tie rods .
  • New wheel bearings ,flanges, cvs, and all other hardware. Dealer installed and seemingly done right with appropriate preload
  • Replaced sway bar bushings and cushions with OEM but that was a while ago , about 60k miles
  • Vehicle is a little bit high in the rear but even when weighted down a bit it's still just sketchy

Symptoms
  • I have a bit of a wiggle / dead feel in my steering wheel. Maybe 5 degrees of sorta nothing ? Idk .....But all of my steering components are new , hmmm . Whatever is causing this is probably the issue
  • Coming into corners and the body just rolls at anything faster than dump truck speeds.
  • If I take it too hard the stability control might even beep at me . It just feels not in control . Same for highway speeds I have to be supppperrrr gentle on the wheel
  • None of this is too the point of dangerous and I know it's just a heavy loaded truck but idk I feel like I should have better stability control

So, anything else I can do? Would an aftermarket sway bar bushing that is stiffer make any difference here? Maybe my oems bushing I just s*** after 60k miles of wear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom