Swap 1983 3B motor with H 55F 5 Speed from BJ60 ( 12 Volt) INT0: 1980 BJ40 B Motor 24 Volt 4 Speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well its been a while about 13-years.

Getting ready to do total rebuild on my 1980 BJ40. Been assembling parts for many years.

Bought an 1983 3B motor with H 55F 5 speed out of BJ60 years ago and looking to see what needs to be done to get it in the 1980 BJ40.

Its a 12 Volt motor. Is it a big deal going into a 24 Volt B motor BJ40?

Will the motor mounts have to be changed?

Is it better to keep the B Motor and put the 5 Speed on it?

Just getting started. Any help with problems I need to address beforehand would be greatly appreciated.

Even though I have been a member here for a while. I am still very much a newbie and don't have a lot of knowledge.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
I guess the questions I am really asking are.

1) Is it to big a deal to switch over from a 24 Volt B wiring system to a 12 Volt 3B?

2) Should I just keep the B put on a turbo and put the 5 Speed trans on the B motor leave wiring the same?

3) Is the 5 Speed H55F from a 1983 BJ60 a straight bolt on to the B motor 1980 BJ40.

Know I will have to cut to get shifter in. Rework drive shafts I believe and put in a cross member.

Also where is best place to get rebuild kits for B and 3B engine.

Thanks!!!

if your B is sick/dying?
and you have a 3B with good #’s and h55f attached
replace

use 24v everything from B - starter, alt,EDIC, etc

Have you done any compression/leakdown tests of the engines? The 3b is a better engine by design, but both are old and you should run the healthier one... same with the transmission. Or get the H55 rebuilt by @orangefj45

These are simple engines... Swap out the glow plugs and relays, EDIC, gauge senders (oil, water),
alternator and starter and you are good to go.

With a 60 series h55 you will need to cut your inspection cover for the 3" rearward positioned shift tower on the transmission. You also will need a solution for the transmission crossmember depending on which you have. Lastly, you will need a solution for your parking brake since your BJ40 axles don't have them and neither does the H55 spit case transfer from the 60.

Motor mounts will be fine!

Yes... Just the electricals on the engine would need to be swapped. Otherwise it should bolt right in...

But... There are a few optional differences on the 3b that could cause an issue. IIRC, the water outlet points the other way to the left instead of the right to make room for the PS pump. This changed in 8/80 or so. May not be on your 3b depending on what market it came from and the vintage...

Yes... Just the electricals on the engine would need to be swapped. Otherwise it should bolt right in...

But... There are a few optional differences on the 3b that could cause an issue. IIRC, the water outlet points the other way to the left instead of the right to make room for the PS pump. This changed in 8/80 or so. May not be on your 3b depending on what market it came from and the vintage...
The 3B Engine came out of Canada if that helps. Thanks for answering my post.
I think my best bet is to do a rebuild on the 3B and possibly and the H55 depending on costs.
A picture of the BJ40 is attached. I have the hardtop and roof as well.

BJ40.jpg

I don't think your BJ40 is a 1980. Lots of pre 79 body stuff I can see in that picture. Plus your bezel is upside down.

Post some more pictures of the inside of the tub and engine bay. You will want to determine the actual year of the truck before you decide.

Where did the truck come from originally? Do you have a VIN or frame number we could look up to determine it's true model year?

I don't think your BJ40 is a 1980. Lots of pre 79 body stuff I can see in that picture. Plus your bezel is upside down.

Post some more pictures of the inside of the tub and engine bay. You will want to determine the actual year of the truck before you decide.

Where did the truck come from originally? Do you have a VIN or frame number we could look up to determine it's true model year?

The Vin # is BJ40042472.

The swap 3B motor I am going to put in is # 11411-58030.

I know the Truck came out of British Columbia Canada and the rear Tub is a replacement Aluminum tub.

Thanks,

Jack

The Vin # is BJ40042472.

The swap 3B motor I am going to put in is # 11411-58030.

I know the Truck came out of British Columbia Canada and the rear Tub is a replacement Aluminum tub.

Thanks,

Jack
were you able to confirm that it was a 1980 BJ40 from the Vin information?

I guess what it really comes down to is the pros and cons of leaving and rebuilding the B engine and putting H55 trans (split case) 5 speed and not having to change any of the 24 volt stuff over.

Or rebuilding the 3 B engine and putting it and H55 trans and swapping all the 24 Volt system stuff from the B motor onto the 3B 12 volt engine.

I know the B motor is good. Know nothing about the 3B motor. Am I gaining a lot with the 3B?
Does the H55 trans split case bolt right up to the B motor?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom