*swallow the pride* newbie question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.trailaddict.com
I'm sure if I had asked this a long time ago, I would have gotten a lot more out of some of the posts I've been reading...

What's a knuckle? And I don't mean the things on my hands smartass ;)

Hell, I'll bite.

The knuckle is the part on the end of your front axle that turns when you turn your front tires side-to-side. You can see it, it has a steering arm bolted on to the top, with 4 studs, and the steering arm points forward, and has the tie rod connected to it. It also has the disk caliper bolted to it on the rear (if you have disk brakes). Hope this helps you find it. Now if you don't have a Toyota with a solid front axle, then these directions aren't going to help you too much!

Dave

[quote author=Jackson link=board=1;threadid=5333;start=msg41875#msg41875 date=1063755337]
What's a knuckle? And I don't mean the things on my hands smartass ;)
[/quote]
Man, how's a guy supposed to have any fun.

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=5333;start=msg42002#msg42002 date=1063779931]
Man, how's a guy supposed to have any fun.
[/quote]

muuhahahhahaha

the only dumb question is the one Not asked.

[quote author=Desertdave link=board=1;threadid=5333;start=msg41894#msg41894 date=1063758385]
The knuckle is the part on the end of your front axle that turns when you turn your front tires side-to-side. You can see it, it has a steering arm bolted on to the top, with 4 studs, and the steering arm points forward, and has the tie rod connected to it. It also has the disk caliper bolted to it on the rear (if you have disk brakes). Hope this helps you find it. Now if you don't have a Toyota with a solid front axle, then these directions aren't going to help you too much!
[/quote]

I had to steal one of Woody's pics from his soa writeup...

soa6.jpg

You're talking about the round thing at the end of the axle, right? Does the knuckle itself actually turn (looks pretty well fixed th the axle), or is there a rod that goes through the middle of it that rotates on the knuckle?

Sorry... I don't yet have a SFA rig to look at. I'm still trying to learn before I buy.

what ATTACHES to the end of that photo is the knuckle...it's a cast part, and the hole in top (and bottom) with the race installed is where the trunion bearings reside.

That is a housing...you can see the cut-mark where it's not yet welded, prepped for a axle rotation...it's commonly called a knuckle rotation, since it's the orientation of the knuckle that changes relative to the angle of the pinion. (see the caster thread too!)

I'm planning some quality time tonight in the garage...I'll take the digi out and add a bunch of photos in the Cruiser Facts section over the next few days of a variety of parts and their "common" name.

That would be cool.

FWIW... Since I first got an interest in cruisers, I've wished there was a good list of terms for people like myself with out much mechanical knowledge. What you are doing tonight sounds like the start of one.

It's easy for me to ask for one since I can't contribute to the workload. :D

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=5333;start=msg42181#msg42181 date=1063821654]
I'm planning some quality time tonight in the garage...I'll take the digi out and add a bunch of photos in the Cruiser Facts section over the next few days of a variety of parts and their "common" name.
[/quote]

gear shift lever = that there leever doohickey

transfer shifter = that there other'n

pedal on the right: traction control
pedal in the middle on a landcruiser: ineffective

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=5333;start=msg42181#msg42181 date=1063821654]
[/quote]

thats just what i need
i always feel like a fool asking questions like "why do birfields break" and "what is this piece?" turns out originally i thought my steering arms were birfields :-[

[quote author=chuglife link=board=1;threadid=5333;start=msg42412#msg42412 date=1063861863]
thats just what i need
i always feel like a fool asking questions like...
[/quote]

Join the club. Luckily, we've got a good bunch of guys who are happy talking cruisers, regarless of how silly the questions may seem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom