Suspension (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted a few days back about my leaning cruiser and got some great replies on fixes. I have been thinking on installing an air bag or air cylinder syspension with a 3 link style set up and get rid of my leafs. Has anyone done this and if so what are the pros and cons? It seems to me that if I can adjust each wheel height at any given time that it would make it easier to get traction in the muddy rutts here in WA state. I already have an on board york air system and tank and can fab the necessary brackets to hold the suspension. Any help would be great. Thanks :beer:

Air bag suspension is not designed to replace your original suspension, it is designed to supplement it. Unless you wanted a ROCK HARD (i mean even harder than 30 year old flat cruiser springs) it is not a good idea to toss your springs and shocks for just air bag. Now, an 80 series coil springover a la Gumby with air bags and you would be talkin. One problem with air bags and offroading is that they can stretch to allow droop only so much. I would go with the tried and true methods of fixing your lean, if you yearn for a better ride then coil springover might be in line.

Thanks for the reply, I have looked into air helpers which I might go with. Here is a web site that I found that has air suspensions. Seems to me that it should replace the leaf springs. I do have a brand new 4" lift suspension and don't want to see it go. I will look into the coil spring suspension. Anybody have a tech write up on this?
Thanks again. :beer:

A link-type suspension with active height control (fluid or air) is not a cheap or easy creation. There are 100's of factors to take into account, I've been working on ideas for mine for over a year, and have yet to cut one piece of metal. Instant Center, Roll Axis, Center of gravity, Squat and anti-squat, arm length and location, triangulation, etc are all concerns to be taken into account, much less mounting and adjusting the suspension.

A pure air bag suspension with locating links is very possible (heck, semi's do it now).

In your part of the country, check out http://www.overthehill4x4.com They do some crazy stuff there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom