Suspension

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by 79fj40, May 15, 2003.

1. 79fj40

79fj40

I posted a few days back about my leaning cruiser and got some great replies on fixes. I have been thinking on installing an air bag or air cylinder syspension with a 3 link style set up and get rid of my leafs. Has anyone done this and if so what are the pros and cons? It seems to me that if I can adjust each wheel height at any given time that it would make it easier to get traction in the muddy rutts here in WA state. I already have an on board york air system and tank and can fab the necessary brackets to hold the suspension. Any help would be great. Thanks :beer:

2. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Air bag suspension is not designed to replace your original suspension, it is designed to supplement it. Unless you wanted a ROCK HARD (i mean even harder than 30 year old flat cruiser springs) it is not a good idea to toss your springs and shocks for just air bag. Now, an 80 series coil springover a la Gumby with air bags and you would be talkin. One problem with air bags and offroading is that they can stretch to allow droop only so much. I would go with the tried and true methods of fixing your lean, if you yearn for a better ride then coil springover might be in line.

3. 79fj40

79fj40

Thanks for the reply, I have looked into air helpers which I might go with. Here is a web site that I found that has air suspensions. Seems to me that it should replace the leaf springs. I do have a brand new 4" lift suspension and don't want to see it go. I will look into the coil spring suspension. Anybody have a tech write up on this?
    Thanks again. :beer:

4. 79fj40

79fj40

5. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    A link-type suspension with active height control (fluid or air) is not a cheap or easy creation. There are 100's of factors to take into account, I've been working on ideas for mine for over a year, and have yet to cut one piece of metal. Instant Center, Roll Axis, Center of gravity, Squat and anti-squat, arm length and location, triangulation, etc are all concerns to be taken into account, much less mounting and adjusting the suspension.

A pure air bag suspension with locating links is very possible (heck, semi's do it now).

In your part of the country, check out http://www.overthehill4x4.com They do some crazy stuff there!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.