Suspension Refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Agreed, it's not a bad job at all. Toyota suspension is pretty easy to work on. Definitely recommend some Gearwrench-style flex-head ratchet wrenches and an cordless impact to make things easier, plus a good floor jack and set of jack stands.

Sorry, I'm catching this late. Yeah, GX isn't tough, the biggest thing to deal with is the KDSS brackets which are a pain. I need to install my ironman UCA's and new LCA's soon and I plan on dropping the skids and maybe removing the bar entirely. I love the ironman set-up. I'm sure others are nice, but hard to beat FCP's cost / performance balance and reliability. I used a s***ty shop for alignment which might be why they couldn't get my caster into spec (close) but I'm doing the UCA's anyway because the steering is a bit squirmier even with my mild 2.5" lift.

I have 168K and my LCA bushes are cracked and have been for 10K. If I were to do it again, I wish I would have done the whole thing like I did in my wife's 3rd gen. If you have close to 150K I would recommend just doing it all because it can be a pain to pull it apart again 10K later just to get the one thing you didn't replace. And if you're like me, every time you pull it apart, something that was good ends up getting dinged and having to get replaced. Doesn't always happen but the GX is enough of a pain with the KDSS system that if it's going to need it all soon, do it all with the lift so you don't end up up doing it all again a year later like I'm about to. Keep in mind the GX requires having all four corners at full droop to disable the KDSS system.

On the 3rd gen I fixed up for my wife, I just yanked it all out and replaced everything. I used 5100's there and as a side, note, hated any preload. I went one ring position from stock height and hated the ride, went back immediately. They are definitely stiffer than stock but 3rd gen's are so light you might not notice the stiffer valving as much on the GX.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

My install video for the shocks/struts:

Sorry, I'm catching this late. Yeah, GX isn't tough, the biggest thing to deal with is the KDSS brackets which are a pain. I need to install my ironman UCA's and new LCA's soon and I plan on dropping the skids and maybe removing the bar entirely. I love the ironman set-up. I'm sure others are nice, but hard to beat FCP's cost / performance balance and reliability. I used a s***ty shop for alignment which might be why they couldn't get my caster into spec (close) but I'm doing the UCA's anyway because the steering is a bit squirmier even with my mild 2.5" lift.

I have 168K and my LCA bushes are cracked and have been for 10K. If I were to do it again, I wish I would have done the whole thing like I did in my wife's 3rd gen. If you have close to 150K I would recommend just doing it all because it can be a pain to pull it apart again 10K later just to get the one thing you didn't replace. And if you're like me, every time you pull it apart, something that was good ends up getting dinged and having to get replaced. Doesn't always happen but the GX is enough of a pain with the KDSS system that if it's going to need it all soon, do it all with the lift so you don't end up up doing it all again a year later like I'm about to. Keep in mind the GX requires having all four corners at full droop to disable the KDSS system.

On the 3rd gen I fixed up for my wife, I just yanked it all out and replaced everything. I used 5100's there and as a side, note, hated any preload. I went one ring position from stock height and hated the ride, went back immediately. They are definitely stiffer than stock but 3rd gen's are so light you might not notice the stiffer valving as much on the GX.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

My install video for the shocks/struts:

Pearls of wisdom...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom