Suspension Recommendations for Bug out FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If s*** hits the fan, parts might be hard to get for Fox or King. And really you don't "need' shocks to drive yer truck. I have and old BDS setup that works and if I did it again I'd probably do the Ironman. I wouldn't go for tons of lift but load carrying capacity, RTT, spares, fridge, etc, etc, etc.

hello! as a fellow prepper, i have had the same thought
so, i just upgraded my trucks suspension, im running fox remote reservoir. i do a lot of off roading outside of shtf scenarios, so i need a good shock
nitros failed on me on a trail and i havent touched them since
post up a build thread man! cant wait to see it

Sell your 60 and buy a taco. Trailers make off-road more complicated.

The taco will get better mileage and have the storage you need. Plus you can go fast....

I've heard enough of people saying the 60 isn't a suitable bug out vehicle. Short of a moggy there is nothing more rugged and reliable than a 60 petrol or diesel, granted the injected gas motor would be more difficult to maintain in dire circumstances but still better than any modern sensitive motor. Not to mention full steel no plastic and beam axle.

Up in spuds neck of the island you'd be hard pressed finding anything but landcruisers and while I was up the cape (real rugged) I did not see any other model of vehicle on the road....literally only landcruisers.

This a 60 entering gunshot down the old telegraph.

Back to the subject you will be doing really well to find a more tough and better performing shock than fox, there's a very good reason the are popular in the comp scene. Second to fox is bilstein for durability, ride and ease of replacement. In saying that prepare for wallet pain and really they're not necessary your application unless you start down the serious mod path.

Stick with ironman or something easily off the shelf.

The only reason I went FOX is I wanted alloy not steel for the beach,
IMG_1632.jpg

I would suggest researching lift kits. There are other options besides OME that cost a lot less and don't lean/squeak after some time on the road.

Frank

Thanks everyone for the info, good stuff. I will check all that stuff out.

Bugout isn't and shouldn't be a craze, I am not worried about zombies. But I do worry about earthquakes in CA, if a big one hits, I just want to be able to drive the car around if required since me Prius probably won't make it around big potholes or debris. OK no go on the fox or king shocks, but I still might do the Volks just for around town.

OK, then no need for a lift or fancy shocks. It's good to go as is.

Here's my bug out set up. I changed the rear axle to full floater, added air bags and have an aal to the stock leaves. The stock leaves are strong and will do well with an extra leaf. The airbags have leveled it out and made it comfortable. You can do both those things for less than ome or ironman.
It's soa with 37 in military double beadlocked tires. Has a Cummins in it. While i still need lockers, every change and upgrade I make I do it with the thought of when shtf How can this help me.
What little money I save from my avoiding unnecessary expensive parts I use for more expensive parts that i need.

Last edited:
If you are on a budget for your vehicle (and all of us are to some degree) then you can scrap the winch for awhile and learn how to use your hi-lift jack as a come along. A coil of cable or dyneema, some chain, and your hi-lift can do wonders.

I own the hi-lift extreme since my 62 is SOA and I wanted the longer hi-lift. It also came with the clamp which can compress items as needed.

I should really learn the extra uses if my hi-lift as they are invaluable in the wilderness or when alone.

I've heard enough of people saying the 60 isn't a suitable bug out vehicle. Short of a moggy there is nothing more rugged and reliable than a 60 petrol or diesel, granted the injected gas motor would be more difficult to maintain in dire circumstances but still better than any modern sensitive motor. Not to mention full steel no plastic and beam axle.

Up in spuds neck of the island you'd be hard pressed finding anything but landcruisers and while I was up the cape (real rugged) I did not see any other model of vehicle on the road....literally only landcruisers.

X10.
Nothing in the deserts of Yemen ( hands down the harshest desert I've been to) but land cruisers. We also used them in Iraq over anything else available.

Leave the springs stock if they're in good shape and fit up some air bags for the increased load handling duties. Add an add-a-leaf to the stack if u feel the need. Another point for the Taco would be parts availability when normal shipping means are disrupted.

Nice thread. Here's what I'd do for a SHTF FJ62 bug-out vehicle:
-If the stock suspension is decent, re-arch, aal and maybe put in airbags. Id avoid a lift as its aftermarket and therefore harder to get parts and decreases fuel economy.
....Hijack.....
-5 Speed manual. Fuel economy up, reliability up, speed up.
-Long range tank/a rear bumper swing-out with 20 or so extra gallons
-lockable firearm/ammo system in the vehicle
-HAM, CB and any other radio. Get to know the clubs in your area and practice various scenarios with them. Birds of a feather fly together.
-Hi Lift, recovery kit, shovel, axe, chain saw
-Water filtration kit and water storage system.
-Practice KISS.

Last edited:
I'd say the OME Heavies in back and Meds in front if you're going to drive it unloaded some of the time. The rear heavies are pretty bouncy unless the rig is totally loaded down. Kurt over at Cruiser Outfitters seemed to have the best deal on a package when I got mine.
I got a small 4X4 trailer and keep it loaded with all the heavy stuff (gas and water), and keep my lighter bug out stuff stashed in a shed nearby. We are in NorCal and the earthquake scenario is the most likely event requiring relocation or navigating around town with obstacles.

Thank you everyone, I like everyones suggestions and thoughts, very helpful. I will make a decision soon. I'll update you guys. I do want to keep the FJ62 regardless of bad gas mileage and would even consider a 5 speed if conversion isn't to painful on the car. I don't want to hack it up to much.

manual transmission is only a plus+ in a 62. heck, I'm stoked on the H42- better git-up and better mileage; the H55 would be the best upgrade one could do to the 62 IMO. AALs will make the ride a bit more harsh without a load on them, but they are an affordable way to keep some ground clearance. going thru all the bearings, gaskets and seals of each and every point on the drivetrain will give you some lasting reliability(knuckles, diffs, gearboxes, engine components and block itself) any decent shock with the right compressed/extended dimensions for your rig will give you years of service, and if they don't cost a grand a set, then you can buy a spare set and keep them in the cargo panels; keep the big coin for things like the transmission and maybe some lockers. A full floating axle should also be considered a MUST. for ultimate overlanding, you should also consider tube type tires and some beadlock rims for ease of fixing on the open road. HTH

5 speed conversion looks stock. The only thing you will need to do is fab a new rear crossmember. Not needed for when the zombies attack but nice to have the rest of the time. When the zombies come, you will need more ammo and more gas. Get a long range tank.

Inside, you use the shifter plate from a Late FJ60 which bolts right in and then the shifter boots bolt to that. Seriously, in the end, it looks like it came that way.

If you're just looking for an excuse to upgrade the FJ62, a 5 speed transmission is about the best mod you can make.

A landcruiser has no need for expensive racing shocks or volk wheels. Its a forklift powered brick that's built like a tank and made to move about as fast.

If your not rock crawling, don't even consider a spring over. End of story.

Just throw a set of add-a-leaf's at it and call it good. If you need more, check out Ironman, OME, or HFS.

....No comment on the silly "Bugout" craze...

I live in S. Florida and it's not a craze here. Lived through Andrew to Katrina to Wilma and just about every storm in between. Arthur last week. We got nothing from Arthur, but it's a big what if. Having a vehicle that will power over and through obstacles and cross flooded stretches is pretty important.

One of the main reasons I've built a diesel cruiser is to be able to use it as a generator. After Wilma I was without power for 3 weeks and fuel was next to impossible to get. Never again. Extended range fuel tank and as many gerry cans as I can store. I have 12 and can carry 6 on the truck. 6k inverter and a nice bank of deep cells on a pallet in the garage.

I can agree on this: As for war in the streets and mad looting heathens, I'd rather stay home for that. Moving about during violent social unrest or marshall law is just asking for trouble - the truck driver who was torn from the cab of his truck nearly killed with bricks during the OJ verdict riots comes to mind. Get supplies and hunker down, you'll be exposed to far fewer potential issues at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom