Suspension Recommendations for Bug out FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree with the above to a certain extent. However when you prepare make your preparations for any eventuality. I was sent to Yemen after the US embassy attacks as a contractor to an oil firm. At the time Yemen was in the beginning stages of a revolt. The oil wells were located in the desert, but the main office Was located in the capital. The decision was made to bring all non essential personnel back and fly them out if the country. There was a prop plane that flew back and forth carrying every one, but it was attacked that week by Al Qaeda when it landed in the desert, hitting the pilot, some passengers and the engines. So the only way back was by land cruisers. We loaded up about twelve of them, coordinated with the Yemeni government and drove the most unforgiving desert known to man and we did it going through rebel territories. It took about 8 hours driving on no roads until we reached "civilisation". We didn't have much time to pRepare and we loaded the trucks minimal stuff except for fuel and water to make room for everyone. We got thru, it was miserable but it got done with no one breaking down. The long and short of this story is this. With regular maintenance your truck can do almost anything, ours were stock . I would get a full floater rear as a minimum though, Not sure why the US got semi floats to begin with.

I live in S. Florida and it's not a craze here. Lived through Andrew to Katrina to Wilma and just about every storm in between. Arthur last week. We got nothing from Arthur, but it's a big what if. Having a vehicle that will power over and through obstacles and cross flooded stretches is pretty important.

One of the main reasons I've built a diesel cruiser is to be able to use it as a generator. After Wilma I was without power for 3 weeks and fuel was next to impossible to get. Never again. Extended range fuel tank and as many gerry cans as I can store. I have 12 and can carry 6 on the truck. 6k inverter and a nice bank of deep cells on a pallet in the garage.

I can agree on this: As for war in the streets and mad looting heathens, I'd rather stay home for that. Moving about during violent social unrest or marshall law is just asking for trouble - the truck driver who was torn from the cab of his truck nearly killed with bricks during the OJ verdict riots comes to mind. Get supplies and hunker down, you'll be exposed to far fewer potential issues at home.

If you live in a place with tropical storms, I get it. But have you seen the s*** on TV, or been to an REI recently? Everything is marketed to people that want to be like ready like you, but most have no reason to.

I live in a place where there is no need to prep like you have, but everyone and their mother seems to think they are some badass gun toting, zombie killing, sasquach hunting, duck call blowing, diesel bro-dozer driving survival expert.....most have never even been camping. (to put it in perspective, Apple HQ is 2 blocks away from my college. Use that to imagine what sort of people I am referring to with this comment)

I apologize if my first comment bothered anyone, it was not my intention.

FWIW, FOX gets their parts anodized at the same platers the shop I work at uses and I've known a few guys that have worked in their machine shop. I've seen their aluminum truck shock eyes racked up ready to get their light blue anodizing. You really cant go wrong with Fox or King if you want quality. (although they are waaay overkill on a mostly stock 60)

Im like most the response here, get the heavy springs. I have a BDS kit installed about 10 years ago. I don't think they sell them any more. But it's handled very high loads. Diesel or gas doesn't matter for a BOV. But capacity is key. If I was concerned and had a large distance to cover to safety I would get the long range tank you can bolt in there. Well worth it, especially for a gasser. Carrying fuel outside on racks makes you a target.

I'd run heavy 10 ply tires. Not mudders or soft rock tires, something that can withstand driving on debris, or glass etc. Carry some spray goop in case you get a puncture.

Other than that, storage internally. Room for supplies etc. Good maintenance and keep the battery charged ready to go when you need it.

For a bug out vehicle I'd have to choose between my FJ62 and FJCruiser.m I think the FJCruiser would be more reliable as it's 20 years newer. Plus it gets 19mpg vs the 62's 11mpg.

Here's what I would do, I think I understand what you want. Spend most your money on keeping it reliable.Do all the maintenance and tune up stuff, fix all the leaks, pack bearings, bushings, make sure all is in tip top shape. Don't just let it sit, drive it a bit often to make sure their are no bugs. After that depending on funds I would install a air compressor, fridge freezer of some sort, roof rack, simple rear air bags, snorkel, rear locker, on board welder if you can weld, plenty of lockable storage, dual spare tires, extra gas, oil, and coolant, heavy duty skid plate, some good fog lights, good backup lights, good interior lights, hi lift jack, tow strap, and a receiver hitch mounted winch you can use for the rear also. I wouldn't worry about the full floater in my opinion. If you get in a jam just use the winch, don't risk breaking parts.

Carry a backpack. Then run.

Why don't you try parabolic suspension? I have got them under my '90 FJ62 for three year now and they are perfect. My 62 behaves almost just like an 80 on coil springs. The only thing that is really important about parabolic suspension is that you MUST have a set of very good shock absorbers.....just like with coil springs.

I have never seen a cruiser with stock gearing break an axle. A 62 with an auto and stockish size tires with a locker-I doubt it has the power to do it. Ive never heard of it unless you wheel it everyday and the axles are fatigued from 20 years of abuse. They do get fatigued. Put 33" tires and a 5 speed with 4:1 tcase on the rocks in moab then ya maybe.

Before deciding how hardcore to build the cruiser the route needs serious investigation. Whatever the bug out route is, you need to know every detour you can use as your roads become blocked. Maybe it's fields or a power line, or just thru towns, and gravel roads. For every mile try to find 3 or so alternate go arounds. The more time put into the route the better equipped you will be, and when you see the block you will know, "ok lock the hubs, and engage the lockers, we are going thru the fields".

When the big one hits, everyone will jump in their cars and head out of town on the interstate. One accident and you have a parking lot.

I have never seen a cruiser with stock gearing break an axle. A 62 with an auto and stockish size tires with a locker-I doubt it has the power to do it. Ive never heard of it unless you wheel it everyday and the axles are fatigued from 20 years of abuse. They do get fatigued. Put 33" tires and a 5 speed with 4:1 tcase on the rocks in moab then ya maybe.
True, and please don't take this as me starting an argument with you. I'm only saying to eliminate as many weaknesses as possible. I found an 80 axle with disc brakes it came with the e brake cable as well. Changed out the brake pads, and bearings for a total of just over $400. Improved my stopping distance and I know if one axle breaks, I can still get home. Put a locker in it and you're unstoppable.

I wheel moderate rock crawling trails like Dusy Ershim and Coyote Lake without breaking my rear semi float axle shafts. I have lockers and 35's. While I agree that a semi-float axle is inferior to a full float the added benefits are not that high for his uses.

An air compressor and a ready welder are higher on the list personally.

For a bug out vehicle I'd have to choose between my FJ62 and FJCruiser.m I think the FJCruiser would be more reliable as it's 20 years newer. Plus it gets 19mpg vs the 62's 11mpg.
Just hopefully you don't have to back up while bugging out. ;)

-Nick
-D/D is a 1985 tan FJ60 with a 350 SBC TBI, ARB front bumper, Tuffy center console, Non-USA OEM Split rims, Yokohama Y735B 7.50 R16 and a box full of archaeology field work gear.

Only read the first page but I vote for tons, soa, and 40's with bilstein shocks.

The 40s and tons (with lockers at each end of course) will make it easy to navigate potholes and cracks in the road and you can also run over cars and such if need be instead of wasting time winching them out of the way. The chev axles will be way easier to find parts for if s*** hits the fan but you wont have to really worry about breaking them in the first place. Ive had my van bouncing locked at both ends and fully loaded for camping without issue or breakage. If you go with air lockers the compressor could be handy as well.

Check out e shocks for a good deal on the billie 5100 or 5125.

D

I am old enough to see the LA riots and the Northridge Earthquake, that is exactly what I am talking about. I am not worried and having sleepless nights because of this, but I do want to prepare a vehicle that I can drive daily but also be ready if anything like this happens again. I know that many think I am overkill, asking about the FOX and King, but the reason I ask, is for this reason. If there is failure for some reason and it is worth to pay more for something, I will save up and do it. I just want to prepare the vehicle so it can get around craziness if it happens as you said. The winch is a good idea and all the suggestions were really great, you guys are a good community and resource and I appreciate everyones input. A lot of food for thought.

Since this thread has wondered off track a few times I will response. I do agree about backing up but see it as the only down side to a small 1/4 ton trailer. I have couple of them. Pain in the a$$ with my 2010 Sequoia to back up. Much easier to back up with my FJ62 but still better with my FJ40s. With practice I've gotten pretty good at it. For me the FJ62 and FJ40s are already at the place I would bug out to so have to count on my Sequoia to get me there. What I think would be a huge help with a 1/4 ton trailer would be a high mounted backup camera. I can backup in some pretty tight spaces but this is by turning around and looking out the back window. Issue with a pintle/lunette hitch by the time you see it out the side it wouldn't correct quickly. Have a adapter to make my M416 have 2" ball but like the pintle better. Backup camera would be real handing if the vehicle is full with people or loaded blocking the back window. Found the stock backup camera is worthless on my Sequoia. I get to my second at night and found it almost impossible to backup at night when it pitch black out.

Personally unless your racing down the Baja or extreme rock crawling I wouldn't consider the FJ62 stock suspension the weak link. These are pretty tough vehicles right out of the factory. Tires and radiator are much higher on the list. I would be carrying at least two if not more spare tires. Trailer converted to match tow vehicle gives a couple extra spares besides room to carry a few more. My FJ62 is in elk country which is why I prefer the old school ARB bull bar. Some expanded metal filling in the spaces would go a long way towards protecting the radiator. Guess some one could shoot a hole in it but I would be worried more about someone shooting the driver than disabling the vehicle. If your are worried about that is time to look into one of the armored 100 series. What I do see is the FJ60 has much better skid plate protection. What the FJ62 has attached to transmission pan and small plate that bolts to the crossmember are joke compared to the huge skid plate I've seen on the late 60 series. Looked at adapting one to my FJ62 but with the way the dual CATs are installed on either side of the frame it wouldn't be that easy unless you redo the exhaust to a single CAT inside the frame. Not sure how that would fly with CA emissions. I still may try it sometime but not as a bug out but as off road vehicle. Almost all miles are driven off road on my semi retired 62.

Just hopefully you don't have to back up while bugging out. ;)

-Nick

It does surprise me the FJ Cruiser has the poorest turning radius of any of Toyota's SUVs with a real frame. My Sequoia has better turning radius then both the current LC and FJC. I bought a Pathfinder back in 87. It was a SE V6 sport package with 31X10.50s. It was a dog trying to turn. When I bought my longer wheel base FJ62 it could turn circles around the Pathfinder. Not sure if they dumbed down the steering because of the age group that figure would but it or what. If trying to bug out think you would want something that can turn sharp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom