Suspension Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BreckenridgeCruiser

I break things.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
teqtach.com
The time has come to change out the horrid suspension that the PO installed. The front springs are too short and the shackles are straight up and down. I don't even want to get into it about the caster angle.

I had an OME kit on my old FJ40 and it rode really well but I would like to have a 4" lift. I am looking to install on a 1981 RHD BJ44 (needs the 45 springs in the rear). There are other kits out there, but I don't know much about their quality. Shoud I just stick with OME with longer shackles? I want to fit 33-35" tires. I was thinkning about ordering custom from Alcan, but read a few bad reviews lately about them. HELP!!!!

I want to use the truck for expedition style driving, not so much crawling.

Any comment will be appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Kraig

Parabolic are other option ... but IMOP ..

Shackle Reversal with OME are just enough and reliable for yoru aplication ..

CCOt does not make rears for the 45 (44 in this case) same with the Parabolics from europe. I could buy the front 4 inch parabolics and put extended shackles on the 2.5 inch rears for the 45.

Also, I have some parts already for a OME kit. DOes anyone know if there is a difference between the old OME and the DAKAR springs. Last i'd heard, it was just a manufacturing location thing that helped OME to save some labor costs. Anyone know the real deal on this?

Also, I have some parts already for a OME kit. DOes anyone know if there is a difference between the old OME and the DAKAR springs. Last i'd heard, it was just a manufacturing location thing that helped OME to save some labor costs. Anyone know the real deal on this?

They have always been coy about that. When they 1st began to rebadge Belton springs from Malaysia as OME ,they said you could still get the original OME springs if you really wanted them "but they were no better" according to them.

That was some time back. I rang a local shop a few months back and he said he was still stocking Beltons and OME and they were coming from the same wholesaler.

The Beltons worked out about $600AUD for 4 leaf packs only.

Im not sure whether OME have gone downhill or the competition has caught up and possibly surpassed OME,but you now have a much larger choice of good springs with much of the junk weeded out.

Tough Dog seem to have a growing support base amongst serious enthusiasts.

. The front springs are too short and the shackles are straight up and down.

I see that on almost every Aussie rig and cannot find out why myself. :confused: The Man-a-Fre catalog shows one in every pic almost.

Does somebody know something I/ we don't? :confused:

Inquiring minds want to know.

And dont feel like the lone ranger Breck,.......

attachment.php

CCOT (cool cruisers of Texas might be an option for you. they offer their own lift called HFS (hell for stout). Cool name for a lift if nothing else. I TOO NEED HELP on deciding what kind of lift to put on. i am told w/ a 2.5" or 2" you can fit 33X12.50 w/ "no worries" for an fj-60 (Aussie guy).

Anyhow just thought i would give you another option i ordered a steering dampner and tie rod kit from them. the service was great and parts were too.

If anyone has suggestions for '83 fj-60 lift. i want a nice medium to soft ride so i don't pee blood after a day of wheelin'. What are the thoughts of doing a spring over (SOA) with a new set of springs? I have heard it'll be too high and tippy for a fj-40 but ok for a fj-60?????? any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

What are the thoughts of doing a spring over (SOA) with a new set of springs? I have heard it'll be too high and tippy for a fj-40 but ok for a fj-60?????? any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Nothing wrong more than a pretty tall rig .. as mine ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom