Suspension Needed - ABQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 96 FZJ80 aint riding as smooth as she used to after 222K miles. Any recommendations on where here in ABQ I can take my truck to, and estimated cost I can expect? I don't really want a lift, but might want some spacers installed while I am at it. Thanks!

For repairs that I could not do myself, I have taken my 96 FZJ80 to ToyoMasters. 1-505-890-8696. Chris is honest, uses Toyota parts and specializes in Toyota vehicles. Usually got me in quickly . Good luck with your FZJ80. and thanks for keeping it on the road.

Yep, Toyomasters. However, until he got promoted from there Ryan Eklund was the Service Manager at LHM. He would take in rigs and have the guys do the work at cost, matching the 15% mud discount for parts. They had more bays than techs so they had empty bays, and would only work on the rigs when there wasn't anything else for them to do but they had to fill out their day. It took a few more days (never more than a week for me) so it took longer, but it was a win/win. If anyone knows a Service Manager at a dealer there you might find out if they'll do that for mud members now. That way they don't have to pay the techs while they're just sitting around, and you get a quality job with Toyota parts, sometimes for less than the retail cost of the parts. I got work done on my 80, my 40 and a 4Runner for less than buying the parts at retail. Maybe two 4Runners and the 40. I don't remember which rigs now, it was a while back...

Ha, that would be a nice little deal to just drop it off at a dealer and say "fix whatever you want over the next month or so" if you want and pay less than retail prices!!! I've taken it to Toyomasters in the past but then I started taking it to a place regularly until they closed down. Toyomasters is just not in my neck of the woods, so I haven't been there in quite some time for anything. Thanks for the recommendation, though!

As far as keeping it on the road, yeah I was recently considering selling it and going newer 4Runner, but then had a change of heart and decided to quit avoiding paying to upkeep the Cruiser and keep her going. Got new tires, installed front door speakers over the weekend, and eventually gonna get around to suspension and other things. :) I've had her for 18 years now, and can't quit her.

My 96 FZJ80 aint riding as smooth as she used to after 222K miles. Any recommendations on where here in ABQ I can take my truck to, and estimated cost I can expect? I don't really want a lift, but might want some spacers installed while I am at it. Thanks!

Have you met the members? I don't seem to recognize your username. Come out this sat for breakfast if you got the time and we can talk about your needs/wants.

Bilstein has shocks made for a no lift or a 1" lift which might work for you. However, if your bushings are shot, then this will just mask the bigger issue.

Last edited:
I haven't met the members. I joined this site at least 10 years ago probably, back when I lived in Denver but haven't visited it or logged in for many years now. Honestly I didn't realize the message board was still up and running! Re: this Saturday I saw that but I am going with some buddies camping up in the Jemez on Friday for a 2 night camping. Y'all might see my truck at the day use parking section at Fenton on Sat afternoon, though. gonna try to fit in some fishing that day. :)

I haven't met the members. I joined this site at least 10 years ago probably, back when I lived in Denver but haven't visited it or logged in for many years now. Honestly I didn't realize the message board was still up and running! Re: this Saturday I saw that but I am going with some buddies camping up in the Jemez on Friday for a 2 night camping. Y'all might see my truck at the day use parking section at Fenton on Sat afternoon, though. gonna try to fit in some fishing that day. :)

I was curious how can someone join in 2003 and only have 14 posts :oops:

Well, if you feel like starting a new intro thread, by all means go for it. I'd also update your signature line with vehicle info and update your location under your Avatar, on the left.

All I will add is the 80-series knowledge base in this group is extensive. If there is something you want to fix, or upgrade, somebody here will be glad to help you (… spend your money :cool:).

does Toyo also work on FJC's?

As far as I know he works on all things Toyota. Give him a call.

Probably works on things non toyota I'd imagine

Would springs from a '97 FZJ80 help? I still have the ones I took out of mine.

Rudy - think it's time to update your signature? :hillbilly:

I was starting wonder if you moved out of the area. It's been a long time since I've seen you post on MUD.

This dude just did a drive by. Nice to see you are still lurking.

Opps!! Just realized this is not the Jeep forum. better go look for it now. Back to the topic, since you guys can never keep it in check.

I replaced my worn out suspension a couple of years ago with OME 861/862 springs and Bilstein yellow shocks with 10mm spring spacers and it made a huge difference. My truck had 210k when i did it. It gave it a mild 1.5 inch lift. Handles great. You can order from Cruiser Outfitters. Its a fairly easy job that most any shop could take care of.

From their site, it looks like this is what you ordered, and added the 10mm spring spacers?

Low Height Replacement Suspension .25"-.75" Lift - $835.00
(Retail Price - $1020)
Part# OME80LOW
1 - OME 2861 Front Coil Springs (Pair)
2 - 60018 Front Nitrocharger Sport Shocks
1 - OME 2862 Rear Coil Springs (Pair)
2 - 60020 Rear Nitrocharger Sport Shocks
1 - OME SD24 Steering Damper
*Caster correction kit not required

He had Bilstein shocks, your kit has OME shocks.

From their site, it looks like this is what you ordered, and added the 10mm spring spacers?

Low Height Replacement Suspension .25"-.75" Lift - $835.00
(Retail Price - $1020)
Part# OME80LOW
1 - OME 2861 Front Coil Springs (Pair)
2 - 60018 Front Nitrocharger Sport Shocks
1 - OME 2862 Rear Coil Springs (Pair)
2 - 60020 Rear Nitrocharger Sport Shocks
1 - OME SD24 Steering Damper
*Caster correction kit not required
Yes. The previous owner had purchased Bilstein shocks already so I used those instead. Everything else in that kit I installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom