Survivor '64 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I am new to Mud as a poster but have been lurking on and off for a couple of years. Briefly, I have a few 45's, a 47, 43's and 40's, in addition to later Cruisers up to new and other vehicle brands.

I recently bought this seemingly unmolested numbers matching '64 Cruiser from a guy in Australia. I live in South Africa so I get to wait a few months to see the new addition to the family. Only crappy pictures I have to go by at the moment but at least something to gawk over.

There is some rust but not too terrible it seems.

While I know the later J4's quite well, I am not the greatest expert on the earlier ones so would value input on correctness, etc.

I have bought a bunch of NOS/original parts already but will likely keep this as is just make it fully functional.
Screenshot_20201119205305.png
Screenshot_20201119205333.png
Screenshot_20201119205358.png
Screenshot_20201119205419.png
Screenshot_20201119205439.png

Very nice looking old FJ40. The amber lights added to the back were a requirement in Australia. Sometime in 1964 Australian market frames were redesigned to include a rectangular tail light with amber lens on one side. Prior to that the amber lights were a add on. Seen a few style of these add on light which makes me think there were installed at port in Australia. Seen the same thing with reflectors on the FJ25/FJ40. Some time in 64 the reflectors were made by Koito and installed in Japan. Prior to that US made reflectors were added port. Who made the amber turn signals on the back will be a good clue were they were installed.

Very nice looking old FJ40. The amber lights added to the back were a requirement in Australia. Sometime in 1964 Australian market frames were redesigned to include a rectangular tail light with amber lens on one side. Prior to that the amber lights were a add on. Seen a few style of these add on light which makes me think there were installed at port in Australia. Seen the same thing with reflectors on the FJ25/FJ40. Some time in 64 the reflectors were made by Koito and installed in Japan. Prior to that US made reflectors were added port. Who made the amber turn signals on the back will be a good clue were they were installed.
Thanks for the detailed information Living! I will take some detailed pictures of the amber lights when I have it so we can see.

Incidentally, in South Africa we have similar turn signal laws and my tri-five GM trucks have Stirling branded turn signal lamps in the fenders.

I have a 71 40 with the combination amber/red lights also which are a bit of a pain to source, so I am hoping all is good inside these amber lights.

I also see that the fuel pump has a primer lever which I believe is more rare and seems spendy to replace if not working.

I have # 4-FJ40 23103. Just a bit earlier on the assembly line to yours. Holler with any questions.

I have # 4-FJ40 23103. Just a bit earlier on the assembly line to yours. Holler with any questions.
Thanks Kitty, yep, ours are very close together.

I have bought a bunch of new original stuff for it but not a thermostat housing yet. I'm guessing this will need to be replaced due to corrosion.

Also, I will need to get a carburetor kit for it. Does yours have a cut-out solenoid? It does not look like mine has one, but I am hesitant to import one and then I need the other. Would like to have the necessary to get it driving once it arrives (the Cruiser is coming from Australia and the carb kits ex US, seeing as I am in Africa, so this has some logistics and time issues involved).

Thermostat housing:

Last edited:
If any of you 135 engine guys have some bad carburetion (and are not a purist), you need to check out my ebay #254809447034.

So my 64 and its 71/2 brother finally arrived. The shippers between Oz and South Africa were hard handed with it unfortunately, but nothing one cannot address. Some pics of it being offloaded from the transporter -

IMG_20210324_125612.jpg

IMG_20210324_125520.jpg

She's a bit crusty and seems to have been parked for a very long time due to the moss on the roof and rats' nests inside.

However, it is essentially untouched and complete save for a bi-fold rear door, the factory keys accompanied it and it shows 87k miles. While I know the odo clocks, judging by the OEM shocks still in their place and the fact that not a single wire has been loosened from its factory retainer makes me believe it may have low miles.

The emergency brake and speedometer still work (I was towed in it to my shop) but I haven't tried to hook up a battery yet. Everything has been hosed down with PB Blaster, penetrants and the like.

The motor is stuck but I have pulled the valve cover and head and everything is clean as it can be after all this time. It was full of old oil which did not have obvious shavings, debris or water in but I am in the process of pulling the oil pan to see why it is stuck (gasket is really welded on and I am taking time to avoid bending the pan sealing surface). Any suggestions on why it's stuck would be welcome.

Incidentally, its younger sibling started within 15 minutes which is the time I took to swop in a known good carb on it. Not even the points needed cleaning or changing for the first start, even though it also stood for many years in the sun (it's a very clean example actually with factory paint, keys, decals and even all glass is OEM still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom