Supercharged 2009 Land Cruiser in the US (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm betting the labor is around $1800+/-

Definitely no loss in MPG. The engine is much more efficient. Of course when you play with it you're going to get worse MPG but if you can stay out of it the MPG will be better than what you are currently getting.
So in highway cruising scenario...Say 70mph? Anyone who has one of these installed have some numbers?

So in highway cruising scenario...Say 70mph? Anyone who has one of these installed have some numbers?
I'll check with the store owner. He has a 13 S/C'd and drives it daily. But in the meantime I'm sure someone else that has it could chime in.

Exact quote from the store owner when asked if he saw an increase in MPG: "Around town a little. Saw 20-21 on road trip to Florida at hwy speeds. Never would have done that with supercharger." He has a 2013 with Lift, 34" tires, front and rear bumpers with tire carrier and winch, roof rack and side steps.

IMG_2846.JPG

Thanks for the responses, glad to hear I haven't missed my chance but unfortunately I'm too far from SC (in Idaho) to have Sparks do it :(
Are there issues with the transmission being 'slushy' after the SC is installed as the OP says or has this been sorted by now?

Thanks for the responses, glad to hear I haven't missed my chance but unfortunately I'm too far from SC (in Idaho) to have Sparks do it :(
Are there issues with the transmission being 'slushy' after the SC is installed as the OP says or has this been sorted by now?

Still it's a little slushy. We are hoping to solidify a better tune soon by using a different setup. Probably won't be until second quarter of 2018 at the earliest.

i get 9mpg around town and 12mpg on the highway. The gauge will be off because the stock computer sees the duty cycle of the ECU and not the size increase on the injector. If i go off the computer it sees 17-19mpg, but i can only muster 220-240 a tank (19-20 gallons).

Now 6.4L with forged internals, sleeved block and reworked heads. Going through initial break-in now. Rebuilt the supercharger and added a Killer Chiller with two gallon reservoir. Trying to keep the engine rich enough without setting codes.

Now 6.4L with forged internals, sleeved block and reworked heads. Going through initial break-in now. Rebuilt the supercharger and added a Killer Chiller with two gallon reservoir. Trying to keep the engine rich enough without setting codes.

I'm curious why all that work was done, are you just after more power or did you need a rebuild anyway? What did rebuilding the supercharger entail?

he had a leak in the cam tower valley and one thing leads to another - you know, man stuff

Wow! :steer:

Impressions

The truck is strong and gas mileage was around 24mpg after filling up and driving around town.

The only issue I noticed is that the transmission is a bit slushy and it is more noticable due to the increased power, but IPT will be taking care of that next week.

Overall, I am very impressed and highly recommend the upgrade. The Land Cruiser no longer has to work to accelerate and it feels a lot smoother. Working with Jamie at Sparks was a pleasure and they took great care of me!

bringing this back from the dead. Can you confirm that you were continuing to get increased MPG on your 200? what is the average mpg so far as of right now?

I have a 2016 lc200 and just picked up a used TRD supercharger for the 5.7 tundra 2012. Need to buy the fuel injector and new pump to work with non flex fuel. Please let me know if you were still getting 24 mpg. that's a huge difference!

Why the concern for gas mileage when this supercharger cost close to $10,000 installed wouldn’t it take like 1,000,000 miles to pay back for the cost of a supercharger? My question for the original poster is did all the other Land Cruiser components withstand the increase in power from the supercharger over the past five years without any failures?

I live in Austin and eco mode gets me 10-12 mpg. If I'm getting 20+ mpg than the savings down the road is potentially substantial if you plan to own it for 200k miles. I currently have 25k on my 16 right now.

It's not the point of saving money for mpg because there would be 0 reasons gas wise to buy a v8 land cruiser. It's more of a bang for the buck scenario. You get 500hp plus 20 plus mpg is a heck of a deal. If Toyota is willing to back up their powertrain warranty if installed at Toyota than it's a strong scenario...

I live in Austin and eco mode gets me 10-12 mpg. If I'm getting 20+ mpg than the savings down the road is potentially substantial if you plan to own it for 200k miles. I currently have 25k on my 16 right now.

It's not the point of saving money for mpg because there would be 0 reasons gas wise to buy a v8 land cruiser. It's more of a bang for the buck scenario. You get 500hp plus 20 plus mpg is a heck of a deal. If Toyota is willing to back up their powertrain warranty if installed at Toyota than it's a strong scenario...

I got you I do the same kind of math to get my wife to let me buy stuff ;)

bringing this back from the dead. Can you confirm that you were continuing to get increased MPG on your 200? what is the average mpg so far as of right now?

I have a 2016 lc200 and just picked up a used TRD supercharger for the 5.7 tundra 2012. Need to buy the fuel injector and new pump to work with non flex fuel. Please let me know if you were still getting 24 mpg. that's a huge difference!

First off MPG will not increase, but I used the same excuse to get this (self justification). The trip computer will tell you 17-20, but it's off by 30%+ because the larger injectors will be using a lower duty cycle, but using more fuel. I get a true 10-14mpg and worst case in the summer and running the motor with AC in parking lots (due to sleeping babies) i got 8mpg.

You don't need the fuel pump. Tundra and Sequioa needs the fuel pump due to being a lower rating than what is in the Land Cruiser and LX570.

You do need the fuel injectors which you can buy from the dealer as they are service parts. You will also need 1 step colder plugs. You can go with Iridium for longer life since the plugs are not easy to swap out on the last 2 cylinders.

ECU needs to be reprogramed and you can not use the Tundra/Sequioa setup. Reason is the ECU in the Land Cruiser and LX570 is a different type of programming (made in Japan vs US) so you can't flash it yet. You need to go with a Unichip and I have an extra one I'm off loading (but need to reprogram for super charger).

Dont forget tons of water lines, and brackets needs fabrication to fit the Land Cruiser as it is not a direct drop in. Basically flattening of the tundra bracket and fabbing a bracket for the water pump.

Last edited:
Still it's a little slushy. We are hoping to solidify a better tune soon by using a different setup. Probably won't be until second quarter of 2018 at the earliest.

Any progress on a new tune? I'd like to pull the trigger on SC but slushy tranny is holding me back. Have you supercharged any 8 speed LC200s yet? Better or worse results?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom