Sunroof stuck closed can I get some help :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just picked up my new to me 2000 LC it was a 1 owner with a stack of every maint from when they bought it new.

It was a "ranch" truck lots of small dints and dings hail damage but runs awsome and I did not care much about the ugly duckling look its going to be a trail fun truck and I did not want to worry about scratches.

I got it for 5K with 191K

Anyways I foolishly did not check the sunroof before purchase. I have had them in the past and never opened them.

So fast forward 2 days. I take it to the touchless carwash to knock the hevy dirt off and I got a nice shower from water pouring in from the sunroof. I tried the switches after I got out of the water fall the tilt one does nothing the one for sliding it back makes a "clack" and then seems like it tries to do something for a second then nothing. The glass pannel does not budge.

I read about plugged drain holes but have yet to get a chance to climb up there and see how to get to them. Can you access them with the top fully closed ? if not is there a way to open the roof without busting it. Im not to concerned if it works or not I just need the waterfall to stop if cleaning the drain works awsome if not whats the best way to seal it up ?

I dont think I am going to spend 1K to fix it after only spending 5K on the full truck lol

Thanks for any info I have not gotten a copy of the manual yet so if you can help with pics that would be awsome..

Thanks

Sounds like your cables are seized.

Where did the leak come from? Center rear?

I got things fixed last year - can be read here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sunroof-disassembly.771200/

If you don't care about fixing the cables and just want the sunroof to seal and check your drains, pop the two trim covers on the inside of the glass and undo the four nuts and push the glass up and out.

The drains are in each corner.

The weatherstripping can be bought separately from the glass, unlike the 80 series (this is mentioned in the above mentioned post). A lot of people seem to think the glass and weatherstripping (that rubs against the metal) are one piece on the 100 series, but they're not. The red arrow points to the plastic frame that is literally glued to the sunroof, the blue arrow points to the weatherstripping that is separate. (Don't bother looking for a new glass panel because you'd just have to glue the weatherstripping on that too).

img_20130930_175043_546-jpg.812194

Parts numbers can be found here:

http://www.midatlantictoyotaparts.c...8-gas-engine/body-cat/roof-scat/84153805-assy

#2 is the weatherstrip.

Last edited:
it came in on the front drivers corner then a smaller amount on the passenger side.

The drivers side was aprox a 1/8" solid stream and another fairly good drip. The passenger side was more of a drip every few seconds.

I was in a touchless car was and I doubt the car was very level. but it was not spomething I could get out and check at the time LOL :)

I may just flex seal the outsiide if we get rain the the forcast.

So I take it there is not a manual release to allow the glass to slide back that sucks

I just went and looked with a flashlight and the 2 seals look tight I cant see a gap but I also cant see the front of it. It has a large plastic wind guard on it and a THICK layer of grime around the front corners. I would say it has not been opened in a very long time if ever. there is a gap on the drivers side between the second blue seal and the metal of the roof. I will look closer in the daylight

Thanks for teh response.

Nah, there's no manual release like some of the older Benzs have. Even if there was you wouldn't be able to open it as the cables are rusted into the sunroof cassette/frame.

If you're desperate, a little liquid electrical tape would seal it and look somewhat un-ghetto, that solution got me through a winter.

Scubajon, I live in Cedar Park, if you have not figure out or fixed by next weekend, you could swing by my house and i could help you..
A.J

Thanks for the offer.

Not really sure what I am going to do with it yet lol. I may end up just seeing if I can seal it up so it cant leak.I will let you know.

I hate Ebay :).

So I was looking for parts for the sun roof to see if I wanted to try and fix it and what did I find . A full sun roof with glass listed for 300 bucks.
I asked and he said it was fully functional even the motors are on it. The bad part is he was in California and would delever within 100 miles for free.
Good thing is my mom was 60 miles from him. So now depending on what it costs to ship it out here I scored a full working sunroof and even had tan colored cloth parts .

Depending on shipping costs I may have them take the glass off and just ship the frame.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26166401882...m=R40%7CR40&_sacat=0&_nkw=261664018826&_rdc=1

Try moving the slide switch back and forth. my 99 just started doing the same thing, but keep at it bc sometimes it takes awhile

Have fun installing that new cassette :p, gotta pull the headliner and side trim pieces and make sure it is calibrated correctly.

you mean I cant just steal the parts off of it to repair the old one ?

mabey I should have checked into this closer lol.

Oh well if its more work than I want to do I am sure I can get my cash back listing it here.

It's a major job. I'm procrastinating on this one myself

Hi. Have a 2003 100 series. Sunroof is stuck closed and is leaking a little (pours out from the passenger side onto the seat when stopping abruptly). I am not looking to fix the sunroof to make it open/close but want to stop the leak. Can I remove the glass, and put it back in with the sunroof closed? With the glass out can I access the drains to clean them out or does the sunroof unit have to retract to access them? And if so, is there a way to open and close the sunroof manually to access the drains?
Thanks!!!

Hi. Have a 2003 100 series. Sunroof is stuck closed and is leaking a little (pours out from the passenger side onto the seat when stopping abruptly). I am not looking to fix the sunroof to make it open/close but want to stop the leak. Can I remove the glass, and put it back in with the sunroof closed? With the glass out can I access the drains to clean them out or does the sunroof unit have to retract to access them? And if so, is there a way to open and close the sunroof manually to access the drains?
Thanks!!!
I made a thread on this same issue here --> Can I Clean Sunroof Drains If I Can't Open It? The answer is yes, however it's a big job so I'm procrastinating it myself too. You could always just silicon it shut

Last edited:
I made a thread on this same issue here --> Can I Clean Sunroof Drains If I Can't Open It? The answer is yes, however it's a big job so I'm procrastinating it myself too. You could always just silicon it shut
Not a big job in any way. Pull off the black plastic interior trim pieces on the panel. Unbolt the 4 nuts that hold the sunroof glass to the tracks. Lift the glass up and put it on a towel on the roof. Clean the drains. Reverse to install.

The sunroofs are not designed to 'seal' completely, they have drains on each side that get clogged. Very easy to clean.

As mentioned, you just slide back the shade, pop the covers, and four nuts hold the roof. You can see the drains on each side, front corners. You can push a rod down into the drains - try gently spraying water through, or compressed air.

This may not work if drain tubes are kinked.

If you can't get drains to clear --a look at tubing pulling off the A pillar inside trim. Pull of the 2 handles on the passenger side, one off the driver side, and gently pop off the trim. You can see the clear tubing. I had to actually cut a section out (mine collapsed) and insert some larger tubing over the section (don't remember if it was 1/2" or larger).

Using silicone or tape is temporary, and may damage the paint. The glass seal is "water resistant" not water proof, the design is to let a little water through (car wash, down pour) and drain it below the vehicle.

My cables are stuck, would 'be nice' to have a sunroof, but they corrode if not used. If your sunroof works, make sure you open/close it once a month!

Kevin.

Thanks!!!

Be careful what you ask for! Stuck closed is better than stuck open! (Especially when far from home, in Yellowstone, after your wife cautioned you about opening it "do you really want to do that "!)

But no one wants a leak, I get that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom