Sunroof disassembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question:

Pulled my headliner and the sunroof track out earlier this week, have been parts shopping for best prices.

My questions are:

1. Does the 2004 FSM that we can all download online show the same setup for the 1998 model year? I've heard from different sources that they redesigned this in 2002-2003? I would assume they are the same from what I saw earlier but I'm not too sure.

2. How can I get the old drive cables out of their housings when they are basically rusted into place? The FSM didn't really help much in terms of that. Tried moving them and they wouldn't budge at all. Should I just order a new track along with everything else (which I really don't want to do if I can help it) or can this one be salvaged?

Thanks.

Rich

Subscribed. Have to do this myself on my 98 soon.

Alright, managed to get the headliner down and pulled the tracks out. Cables were completely corroded in the cable guide, actually had to cut the guide apart to slide the sunroof holder out, as they had seized into one piece.

Got the new cables, cable guide, and weatherstripping in.

Everything works except for the fact that the new seal is so thick that the sunroof doesn't want to close and I had to manually push it down while the sunroof was in the off position.

Anyone know if a new sunroof comes with the weatherstripping or if they have to be ordered separate? Asked Beno and he said it's just the glass but I have read on various threads here that they are all one piece and how people complain of having to buy the whole glass assembly just to replace the seal!

Just wanna make sure I'm not losin' it!

Rich

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

With the 80 series you have to buy the glass to get the weatherstripping.

With the 100 series you can get the glass and weatherstripping separately.

You already bought the weatherstripping--it was in your order.

I realize that, but the roof seal is so tight and doesn't want to adhere to the sunroof glass and instead of messing around with it I'd rather just get a whole new glass assembly with a factory seal if possible that way I can just "plug and play" so to speak without messing around with the seal.

I talked with my friend who helped me get this project done and I'm gonna pull the glass out and lube it with silicone and hope the weatherstripping seats properly.

This is a pain in the a** because I've spent so much money on this thing and the problem that caused all the damage is still here! Damned seal still leaks! Over $700 in parts and it's all down to a $50 seal which doesn't seat correctly.

I would just seal it permanently but since I've spent so much time and money in it now, I figured I'd prefer a properly functioning sunroof.

Anyone know if a new sunroof comes with the weatherstripping or if they have to be ordered separate? Asked Beno and he said it's just the glass but I have read on various threads here that they are all one piece and how people complain of having to buy the whole glass assembly just to replace the seal!

Just wanna make sure I'm not losin' it!

Rich

With the 80 series you have to buy the glass to get the weatherstripping.

With the 100 series you can get the glass and weatherstripping separately.

You already bought the weatherstripping--it was in your order.

Factory window will not have seal with it.

Could use some clarity here. There are two gaskets, or weatherstipping pieces. One is glued to the glass. One is the outer part that the glass/gasket mates to forming the actual seal that prevents water entry. I was told that the $50 part is the outer one, and that the inner one that is glued to the glass can only be obtained by purchasing the new glass, and that those two (glass and gasket) come as a set, and connot be purchased seperately. At least that's what I was told a month ago when I had the sunroof replaced...:crybaby:

Could use some clarity here. There are two gaskets, or weatherstipping pieces. One is glued to the glass. One is the outer part that the glass/gasket mates to forming the actual seal that prevents water entry. I was told that the $50 part is the outer one, and that the inner one that is glued to the glass can only be obtained by purchasing the new glass, and that those two (glass and gasket) come as a set, and connot be purchased seperately. At least that's what I was told a month ago when I had the sunroof replaced...:crybaby:

That "weatherstrip" does come only with the glass. Not really weatherstrip...more of just a seal for the glass outer edge surface.

Hi, Do to experience these are poorly made, the tracks being bent are why they leak.My solution , replace the whole assembly. I have found its not the seal but the tracks being too weak and giving with age. It was not what I wanted to do either. $$$ Mike

Okay, just so we're all on the same page:

The BLUE arrow points to the seal that is sold SEPARATELY. This is the weatherstrip. Part number 63251-52020 as per Beno (for the '98 at least). As said earlier, this is separate and does not come pre-installed on the glass.

The RED arrow points to the "seal" that is literally glued onto the glass and comes with the glass assembly.

In this case it sucks that this doesn't come as a pre-manufactured one-piece-includes-everything part like the 80s Sunroofs did. I just wanna be able to put the glass in without fussing with the weatherstrip (BLUE) that mates to the metal of the roof.

IMG_20130930_175043_546.jpg

I replaced both cables, cable guide, and the weatherstripping (BLUE) from my earlier post. The sunroof itself works properly after being calibrated. My problem is the seal around the sunroof is not mating very well to the roof metal and is still leaking, which is why I wished Toyota included that seal with the sunroof as a prefabricated all-in-one piece so I wouldn't have to mess around with the seal.

As of right now I've put so much money into it that I'd rather pay $375 for a new glass panel and $40 for a new seal then another $1k to fix the frame if it actually is bent or whatever. If it can be fixed with a properly-seating seal I'm set.

Last edited:
Interesting thread - thanks for all the posts.

After looking at all of this, if I ever have issues with my sunroof, I'd be sorely tempted to pull the whole thing out, weld in a steel plate, and bondo over it! The sort "permanent redneck fix" !!!

:hillbilly:

Wow. This thread is making me not even want to fix my inoperable sunroof. That being said, what do you mean it "leaks"? If you mean that water is getting into the sunroof channel, that's completely normal and intentional. That's what the drain tubes are for. The outer seal just keeps water from coming in forcefully and getting into the cabin of the truck. But you will not be able to keep water from dripping into the channel and draining out of the drain tubes. But you shouldn't be getting water into your cabin or leaking onto the headliner in a properly installed sunroof seal. That being said, I still can't justify spending $700 to fix my sunroof. I actually pulled the plastic trim covers off of mine and just unscrew the four nuts holding the glass in and pull it out on nice sunny days. Just toss it in the back seat and smile. That's a very redneck way though.

Just a quick update: reseated the seal with a better glue, 3M Trim Adhesive 08008 from my local parts store and after a little coaxing with my friend's wife's hairdryer, the weatherstripping definitely seats and seals better!

Nice, good work! I'm sub'ing to this since at some point when I'm made of money I'd like to fix mine too. I suspect the tracks a whack since it opens fine but does not want to close without some serious help. I pulled the fuse for the switch so nobody effs it up on me while I'm not paying attention... this thread now has 3 redneck fixes just for the sunroof! That's some quality tech if you ask me...

Thread! Be ye resurrected!

As I plan this repair myself, I am needing clarification:

1. Is it true that I do not need to purchase and replace the entire sunroof cassette on my 1998 LC if it's merely the cables rusted in the guides? I can just purchase the cables and dig the old ones out and put the new ones in?

2. Any updates on your repair landylover21?

Muddy Bean: Yes, it's true that you only need the cables and not the entire cassette if you want to replace them.

Part numbers from my invoice in case people are wondering:

(1) 63221-60030 Cable Guide Case
(1) 63223-60030 Guide Rail
(1) 63224-60030 Guide Rail
(1) 63251-52020 Weatherstrip

For the past year and a half now everything's been sound, some wind noise when it's really windy outside, but at highway speeds there's no noise. No leakage as of now either. When I first installed it, and went to open and close the sunroof, it suffered from "flatulence" as the seal was still tight, but after lubing with some silicone, it has quieted down.

For future searches: as mentioned before, the sunroof and rubber weatherstrip are TWO SEPARATE ITEMS. The 80 Series glass panel has the seal built in so you have to replace the entire thing.

I put it through a torture test and put it through the touchless car wash for the next month following the install and only had a few drips and from what I've read, it's normal.

IMG_20150305_191741956.jpg

For me that was a torture test because being a detailer, I prefer to hand wash everything! Not too bad for a 17 year old, un-garaged truck in upstate New York.

Last edited:
Nice :) excellent info. Thank you! Question, you're listing guide rails and guide case. Cables come with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom