Sunroof Drain Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In that last picture (above), would it have been easier to shorten the existing tube by a few inches so that the new 5/8 hose could be inserted without kinking the existing tube?

-Steve
Steve,

The drain lines don't stay kinked, after the glue dries the excess is pulled through the body cavity until the lines are straight. I probably only added about 3-4 inches to their length. The drain lines are soft and they go back to their original shape after being kinked. It was explained in Step 7

Anyone have their rear seat belts get wet fron this?
By rear seat belts do you mean the 3rd row? The 3rd row belts will get wet from leaking sliding windows or the trim (AKA belt molding) below them not sealing properly. A worn or damaged rear hatch seal will soak the back carpet and belts too, I know I've had all three!

my issue is that it gets clogged higher up... is there something similapr for that? other than yanking the headliner to replace the tube? i have tried chasing it with wire... still clogged i think. going to try compressed air soon.

The headliner does not affect how the sunroof drains it only affects where you will see the leak 1991-94 have a suspended headliner that has a vinyl backing and is stitched together. The leaking sunroof on your 80 will spill over and pool up on the headliner then drip along the B pillar and above the DS door, they older style will leak at a seam above the of $hit handles on the A pillar.

I've got the O-$hit handle leak on both A-pillars of my '94. I will try the weed-eater line trick to unclog these lines soon. Hopefully the lines aren't disconnected/broken, since I was told that these lines were "blown out" by the dealer.

I was going to do the extended drain tube but I found an easier way.

remove drain tubes from kick panel
photo1.jpg

remove plug just below kick panel and punch/ cut a hole in the plug (you can buy ones at the hardware store for electrical)
photo2-1.jpg

Insert drain tube into grommet about 1-1.5" don’t glue yet
photo3-1.jpg

Use a small flat-head to insert grommet start it from the top then finish it from the underside. Then apply some glue or sealant, not really necessary though.
photo4-1.jpg

photo5-1.jpg

I cut a small slit in the carpet so it would lay down around the tube, it is all covered by the plastic kick panel
photo-2.jpg

Last edited:
^ Im guessing the tube is covered by the kick panel? I like the idea. Did it help the cause?

^ Im guessing the tube is covered by the kick panel? I like the idea. Did it help the cause?

Water from the sunroof dumps on the ground instead of adding extra humidity to the interior. Now to eliminate the leaking windshield and find out where the water is coming from that fills up the rear quarter's.
Swear this thing leaks more than my CJ5 with a ragtop.

find out where the water is coming from that fills up the rear quarter's.
Swear this thing leaks more than my CJ5 with a ragtop.

That is probably the sliding windows or rear sunroof drains. I can see how the rear drains could fall out of the grommet relatively easy.

remove drain tubes from kick panel
photo1.jpg

remove plug just below kick panel and punch/ cut a hole in the plug (you can buy ones at the hardware store for electrical)
photo2-1.jpg

Insert drain tube into grommet about 1-1.5" don’t glue yet
photo3-1.jpg

Use a small flat-head to insert grommet start it from the top then finish it from the underside. Then apply some glue or sealant, not really necessary though.
photo4-1.jpg

photo5-1.jpg

I cut a small slit in the carpet so it would lay down around the tube, it is all covered by the plastic kick panel
photo-2.jpg
Good job! I'm glad it worked out. I had originally planed to do it that way because the holes were there and the drains didn't need to be extended but was concerned that the kick panel would crush the tubes making them smaller. I also do things the hard way, which turns out to be a PIA. Did they get crushed?

Not crushed but may be a slight pinching from the lower structural "rib" on the plastic kick.
It can easily be notched if needed.
The total inside volume would be the same just not round,
I'll inspect it in a month after it has time to seat.

...snipped...

Thanks! I just did this last night while the interior panels were off. I just cut a hole in each of the plugs and hit it with some gasket RTV stuff I had laying around. Worked great. The hardest part was getting the driver's side tube out from behind all the wires.

Now to work on the rear sliding window leak and rust.

Very helpful write-up! I'm dealing with a couple leaks that I believe are coming either from clogged sunroof drains or a leaky windshield...

*edit* If you need additional weight you could consider the optional On Board Ballast System! ;) Crazy they really drain into rocker area... I had wet carpet after heavy rain... Then pulled plug to have a minute of steady water pour out... keep an eye on drains or avoid prolonged exposure to heavy rain
35453.jpeg

Last edited:
There are weep holes molded into the body seam underneath that either get plugged with dust and mud or squished or ?
poke into them with a zip tie or something small and flexible and blast some water into the drain holes until it runs out of the weep holes. Don't forget that doors can get water inside too with cut or damaged vapor barriers, aftermarket speakers and poor reinstallation of the vapor barrier... I'm dealing with that right now...

Just just want to up this DIY for us midwestern folk going from drought to flash flood.

My 2 rear drains were completely encapsulated by spray foam :meh:

And my 2 front ones kinked like something you’d find on something that rhymes with cornhub.

:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom