Sunroof Chatter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Car is a 92, only 120k miles on it.

I wish that I was just dealing with wind noise and a bicycle tube or phone wire would help, bring all the wind noise possible if it would get rid of this chatter.

So the roads in Tulsa are pretty s***, especially in the midtown area, and driving down 90% of streets the sunroof creaks, moans, shifts..... the best word I could use to describe it is just chatter.

Only time it doesnt make noise is when its completely open. When its tilted, or slightly open it still chatters.

Anybody got a fix for this, shims? Wedges? Maybe go over it and try to tighten any bolts? Lube? Replace the trim? Basically anything outside of removing the headliner

There is some play in it, I know most landcruisers have a "sunken" sunroof and if you put some tilt on it then it becomes more flush, if you put some pressure on the sunroof(pushing up) it does limit the noise.

I'm experiencing the same thing, especially if I'm behind a semi-truck, it rattles like mad. I've heard there's round rollers made of nylon in the track and they simply flatten out over the years. Some have simply turned the rollers 180 degrees and it's fixed the rattle. I've not dug into it yet but it's a pain to drive around with all that racket.

I've read that some have used BMW or Honda Silicone rubber rejuvinator/lube on the gasket which can rehydrate it a bit and seal the sunroof up a bit too.

Thanks @Dissent , enough key words in there to lead me to this post:

Ill check out my wheels and see if they are flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom