Advice on Sunroof Assembly Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m working on a 1995 Land Cruiser 80. The goal is to drop the sunroof assembly so I can weld up the roof rack holes (rack is already removed). I’ve already got the headliner out.

I was wondering if there was a way to drop the entire sunroof assembly as a complete unit and not remove the plastic trim, glass, ect from the assembly?

The plastic trim is in great shape and I don’t want to risk breaking it. I’ve read through lots of threads here but they all talk about disassembly of the unit to fix sunroof tracks. Maybe the disassembly is required for removal but I just wanted to make sure before taking things apart. Thanks!

Yes, but you have to drop the headliner to do it.

Yes, the whole assembly comes out. I first removed the controls/computer and then disconnected the 4 drain tubes and then it's just a matter of some bolts all the way around. I did not attempt to disassemble anything - just left it alone and re-installed it with no issues.

Having a helper is pretty critical so as not to have any part of it drop before you're ready. We each worked on one side and let it down to rest on the tops of the seats, and then removed it out through the rear gate.

Yes, the whole assembly comes out. I first removed the controls/computer and then disconnected the 4 drain tubes and then it's just a matter of some bolts all the way around. I did not attempt to disassemble anything - just left it alone and re-installed it with no issues.

Having a helper is pretty critical so as not to have any part of it drop before you're ready. We each worked on one side and let it down to rest on the tops of the seats, and then removed it out through the rear gate.
That’s good news. Thank you. Seats are out because I removed the carpet for cleaning but I will definitely get a helper.

Pro-Tip: if you have 2nd row grab rails on the tops of the door sills, you can use these to hang the sunroof rack assembly when you remove the 14-16 bolts which attach it to the roof. By letting it balance on those handles, it's a lot easier to then shift it downward all at once to come out the rear.

Lots of guys remove those handles thinking it'll make getting the sunroof rack assembly out more easily, but I found the opposite to be true.

Pro-Tip: if you have 2nd row grab rails on the tops of the door sills, you can use these to hang the sunroof rack assembly when you remove the 14-16 bolts which attach it to the roof. By letting it balance on those handles, it's a lot easier to then shift it downward all at once to come out the rear.

Lots of guys remove those handles thinking it'll make getting the sunroof rack assembly out more easily, but I found the opposite to be true.
Cool, good suggestion. Does anyone have a recommendation for where to ground the welder when filling the roof rack holes?

Grind around one of the holes (you will be anyway) and run a bolt with washers through the hole with a nut on the opposite side. Attach your ground to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom