Sudden loss of transmission, loss of fluid, 10 miles after dealer evaluated oil pressure sender (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First post... any advise is appreciated. 2004 LX470, 117k mi, maintained and not abused, no mods other than spoked Tundra rims with BFG K02's (not up-sized). I noticed the dash oil pressure gauge being erratic on a trip over the mountains last weekend - had it looked at by the local Toyota dealer yesterday. They removed the sender, checked it with gauge: idle 25psi, 3k rpm 75psi (spec at low idle is 4psi). Recommended replacement of sender - which is booked for next week given the sender is coming from an out-of-town Lexus dealer. I picked it up this morning, 12h ago. Mileage pre-service was 117,340, it's sitting at 117,377 now. With their road test after replacing my old pressure sender, I figure I drove 20-25mi on the day, running errands in town.

Anyhow, this evening I was a couple blocks short of dropping a second kid off for basketball practice, 20mph, pushed gently on gas pedal and, nothing. Looked down, tried again... engine super smooth, no go. There were no catastrophic sounds from the vehicle, no sudden hitches in speed. Coasted off the gentle downhill/main road, made it a half block down a side street... nothing. Not down thru the gear selections, not in reverse, not after putting it in park, in low range, and into gear. I did recall smelling funny engine bay fluid/something when it happened (was sudden). A half-hour earlier I'd been picking up a teen and her friends from a soccer meeting up at at home up in the hills. This happened on a gentle downhill in town, under no load, in traffic.

Finally used my AAA membership for the first time in 12y (as the nice lady told me). Thompson Towing, East Wenatchee were quickly there to help - can't recommend them enough. Flatbed was out of town, so he made short work with a nice Dodge diesel dually tow rig, dolly for rear wheels. Yes, I looked up towing in the manual, turned the height adjustment/suspension 'OFF' in "normal" position. As we stepped out to look at it once in my driveway, I was snapping these photos of tranny fluid (hope they load) when he said... that doesn't look like water!. Well, I'd already shared all of the above on the way home - oil pressure sender, so he says, with a smile, "would you like me to just deliver it to the Toyota dealer for you?" "They must have moved some lines around to get to the sender, and failed to put them back on right."

At this moment, my questions would be:
1. Do you have to move/remove any transmission lines or the cooler, etc., in order to service the oil pressure sender?
2. Is it fair for me to assume this is related to their servicing the car yesterday?
3. What is the chance the trannsmission was grenaded by the sudden/immediate loss of fluid?
4. How should I proceed? I would place my shade tree mechanic skills at midland - given that I can do valve adjustments on the 65' Land Rover 109 I should have kept, airhead/oilhead BMW motorbikes, diagnose a bad stator on a KTM dual sport, change out needle jets and the like. But, I've never built or rebuilt an engine. I tend to know my limits and place trust in mechanics. I plan to simply go forward with the dealership who did the work, on the day tomorrow - simply presenting my experience, asking the open-ended question of what they plan to do?
5. Is it their fault?
6. If it is, how do I feel good about my otherwise problem-free transmission now having been run dry of fluid while driving?

Thanks in advance,
I've been looking in on this site for years - all good.
IMG_6547.jpg
IMG_6548.jpg
IMG_6550.jpg
IMG_6551.jpg
IMG_6552.jpg

IIRC, the sending unit is right next to the oil filter. Although the mechanic shouldn’t have needed to remove any transmission lines to replace the sending unit, there is a trans hose (going into cooler at bottom of radiator) relatively close to it that they could’ve nicked with a tool or knocked loose while working underneath the truck. Definitely looks like a trans line is either busted or disconnected, not a grenaded trans, based on your pics. If the trans blew, you’d know it...Doesn’t appear to be the case here.

Last edited:
Easy. Go find the service manager and explain everything. Don't be aggressive, but still make it clear you need the truck in working order quickly and maybe slide in a loner car too. For free of course. Tell them to fix it and confirm all your fluids are good. Can't comment on the need for removing any lines but they obviously messed something up and are at fault. Good news is @JunkCrzr89 is right you'd know it if it blew, and your issues are indicative of low trans fluid so I'm betting they did mess with the trans inlet/outlet lines and it dumped enough to go into its 'limp' mode. At least it's a dealership and not a shadetree mechanic.

Thank you for the above replies. Just went out to rig, 11pm. Dropped oil filter access plate, used mirror and headlamp to look around - lots of fluid, hoses fixed at appropriate sites. Popped hood, entire engine bay is covered in ATF, as in, everything, even battery. Photo is looking down, standing in front of license plate, straight down passenger side of radiator fan. Big oops - looks like hose contacted running fan blade, thus the vertical shot of ATF (sound deadener on hood is saturated).
IMG_6557.jpg
IMG_6559.PNG

Well that sucks; looks like that fan spread the trans fluid everywhere for you.

Repair should be covered by the dealer I would think.

Well, happy to report on a most productive meeting with the service manager this morning. I couldn't be more satisfied with the path going forward - with very good options on the table. Even down to the small detail of their sending out someone today to clean up the ATF in my driveway. TheForger was spot on. Thanks to all.

Final update: we decided that a rebuilt transmission (only option) did not meet the needs of our family/young children. Dealership was more than fair both with trade-in value and the negotiated price on a new 2019 Land Cruiser. My wife and I are both enjoying the new vehicle, missing our great old one, and, in the main, thankful no one was hurt in the whole process.

Final update: we decided that a rebuilt transmission (only option) did not meet the needs of our family/young children. Dealership was more than fair both with trade-in value and the negotiated price on a new 2019 Land Cruiser. My wife and I are both enjoying the new vehicle, missing our great old one, and, in the main, thankful no one was hurt in the whole process.

I'd say that is going above and beyond. Glad to hear it was handled the way it was and enjoy the new rig.

Tripper

Smart dealer, they talked you into a new vehicle.

Odd that a rebuilt transmission is the only option. Why was this not an acceptable replacement?

It sounds to me like a) someone in the shop wanted your truck and they were willing to clean it up and work it out, and b) they had a 2019 Land Cruiser lingering around and depreciating by the day. But if you're happy that's really all that matters.

same thing happened to me a month after buying my 80. coming down the west side highway in manhattan and a little smoke starts coming out of the hood, didnt really notice. then more thick smoke and burning fluid smell. engine starts racing but no go. just barely make it to pull off on a side street. lost all power. open the hood and everything is wet. tranny cooler hose had been getting nicked by the fan belt for awhile and it finally got through. cut a perfect slot to spray onto the fan and everywhere else from there. i happened to pull over right next to one of the last auto repair places on the west side highway out of sheer luck. managed to buy a section of genuine 3/8" goodyear tranny hose. and then went back several times for bottles of ATF. limped through the brooklyn battery tunnel to the pepboys by my place and put another couple quarts of ATF in. never a tranny hiccup again. im sure your tranny was fine but they probably werent willing to take the risk of something happening later. talk about unexpected, you go in for an oil sender unit and come out with a brand new 200 series. they must have made an incredible deal. i guess your time in the 100 series section began and ended in one thread. good luck!

Smart dealer, they talked you into a new vehicle.

Odd that a rebuilt transmission is the only option. Why was this not an acceptable replacement?

Most all of the time our small town's dealership does not have a new LC on the lot - it just so happened, as we dropped our LX470 off for the oil pressure sender service... we literally took the new rig out for a test drive. I've been patiently looking at them, seeing as we plan to "always have one" in the family. What happened on the day of picking up the vehicle was completely unexpected... In the end, with young children, my wife and I were not comfortable with a rebuilt tranny, even with a planned warranty provided. Put another way, if I had the option to buy either of 2 15y old rigs with identical mileage, I would not choose the one with a rebuilt tranny. I completely understand others would be comfortable with one - a very personal choice.

Did they try fixing the line and filling it up with fluid?

Clutch packs and the torque converter won't engage without fluid and are stuck in limbo. Their lack of engagement would have the unintended consequence of protecting the transmission from damaging itself in the circumstance you outlined.

Sure you are loving the new LC, just want to make sure the dealer is being above board on the repair with you.

Clutch packs and the torque converter won't engage without fluid and are stuck in limbo. Their lack of engagement would have the unintended consequence of protecting the transmission from damaging itself in the circumstance you outlined.

Sure you are loving the new LC, just want to make sure the dealer is being above board on the repair with you.
My thoughts exactly. @paddythesmith what dealer is your 100 located at so one of us can go buy it and keep it in the road? Dealer specified “transmission needs rebuilt” is a hell of a bargaining chip for us! 🤑

My thoughts exactly. @paddythesmith what dealer is your 100 located at so one of us can go buy it and keep it in the road? Dealer specified “transmission needs rebuilt” is a hell of a bargaining chip for us! 🤑

It seems unlikely that a dealer would put a truck on sale stating "bad transmission". More likely that they would either sell it to auction if it's really bad, fix it if it can be easily done, or -shudder- sell it as a "cream puff"...

I’ll also chime in here as I had the same issue.

I also had a hole in my trans fluid line after not putting it back in the plastic clip holder after my alternator replacement. Wore a hole in the line on the crank pulley. Fluid spilled out and was left with no forward motion. There was 1-2 ft of snow on the ground so I didn’t notice when it happened. Thought I was just getting wheel spin. Drove it ~1mi with decreasing forward motion before I realized what happened and coasted into a church parking lot.

Towed it to the dealer as I was in buffalo at the time and it was below 0°F and I wasn’t about to fix it in my driveway.

They replaced the line and filled it back up with fluid. Been 40k miles since then and no issues. Trans works as good as ever.

Glad you are happy with the new rig though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom