Strobe Hideaways in Headlight Housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
I thought I'd like to put a couple white strobing LED's in my headlight housings and I was wondering if anyone has done the same and if so, what location in the housing they chose. For now I just want one in each headlight and I plan on running the switch into one of the blanks next to the mirror adjustments.

Are you in law enforcement, highway work, or 16?

Prob want to mount them in the small lamp at the edge of the light with the little plastic cover.

@ENGINE er Hahah verrrry funny! No, the reason I am doing this is because last winter I was pulling someone out of a ditch on a very dark/poorly lit road at night and I noticed a car coming down the road. My truck was perpendicular to the road so neither my head or taillights were visible and I was blocking the shoulder and about 1/4 of the lane. Keep in mind the snow is coming down hard. I thought he saw me but apparently he didn't until it was almost too late. He locked his brakes and slid into the ditch right next to the car I was pulling out narrowly missing him and me by only a few feet. Scared the :censor: out of me and I vowed I would do something about it before this winter rolled around. I've thought about courtesy lights along the running boards but I figured I will be taking them off in the near future so whats the point? The side markers are a great idea and might be what I end up doing so if I screw up I only have to replace that and not the glass headlight housing.

I like this idea

Great idea. Never heard about such a solution - prolly not legal around here, but solves a problem anyhow.

@perrobravo LOL!
That's a Valknut and represents a person who follows Odin. Just like a Cross and Jesus.
great-symbol-tattoo-triangles.jpg

But I agree with your point, these 1)make way more sense 2)are cheaper 3) will not get you arrested.
images.jpg

The strobes are fun tho

Check with your local authorities. In California, you cannot have your flashers flash too fast or you'll get a ticket.
Reason: Law enforcement uses fast flashing lights, which means we (civies) can't.
This is a problem sometimes when swapping out turn signal bulbs for LED's. One sometimes needs to add a kit (resisters) to slow down the flash.

box of road flares?

IIRC, you can technically get a ticket for pulling people out of ditches on the side of the road....has to do with liability/insurance/safety and also because you're "stealing" customer from local tow company.

Emergency flashers just don't have as much appeal as the flashing strobes ya know? As for the road flares, I would rather have a solution that turns on at the flip of a switch or 2 rather than having to get in the cargo area to get them out and popping the sulfur. Those electronic flares are very cool, however, like I just stated I would rather have something that only takes a second to turn on and preferably within reach of the drivers seat. Haha plus it's only illegal if you get caught am I right??

@B3A5T Those are just what I was looking for, thank you! No impersonation intended in this idea btw. Just something fun I thought I'd do that might help me avoid getting hit!

Although each state has lighting laws, it is pretty universal that yellow flashing lights are permitted for service vehicles. So, many folks now have yellow light bars and strobes on their personal vehicles that access construction sites for example. In PA they allow super volleys to put blue light bars on their personal vehicles so that every Tom, Dick and Harry can respond to emergencies from anywhere. Of course blue is the light of choice for police in many states now too. I also see that construction guys are putting white strobes in their headlights, but frankly they are not as noticable as a real light bar.

I can't see how having a yellow flashing light on your personal vehicle will get you a ticket. Your insurance company may be bothered, since you probably don't have coverage for, a.) being a highway service vehicle and b.) towing cars.

A few things to consider as someone who has everything from xenon strobes to 36" light bars due to my line of work:

• Strobes in headlight housings are either time consuming or expensive to have installed and are only visible from the front or rear. Xenon bulbs burn out quicker than LED's and are very susceptible to moisture. They also generate heat and lots of it. Melted a taillight on a Tacoma with xenon strobes. Power hungry compared to LED as well. They have LED hideaways now but they aren't as bright as xenons, yet. They are getting better.
  • Consider a magnetic mount LED mini-bar for better flexibility. It can be placed in the middle of the roof or forward/aft depending on your need in a particular situation. They give much better visibility from off-angles than hideaway strobes. I have several of these and they are very bright, portable and energy efficient. I can even slap it on a roll cage in our side-by-sides with no wiring etc. Being able to move them from vehicle to vehicle is something you will be glad you can do eventually.
  • Permanent installs are nice but as infrequent as you describe I would not go drilling light housings or mounting bars in grills, roof liners etc for 1-2 times per year. I do have 3 of these on vehicles and they are great LED strips for the money if anyone is looking for this type of bar. The little mag-mount I linked to up above though is really visible and with the LED pods placed in it at an angle it has great visibility from all angles.

Reactions: uHu
I am running something like this in the windshield:
http://www.feldfire.com/Whelen-Slim...iISWhmnR1xov2XUd3f7FAeoQJEe2q-SYdtxoCXOfw_wcB

I also have hide-away strobes that will go in my front corner lights and taillights. My hide-aways are clear and the windshield bar is amber.

As a side note, in OR you can run clear or amber. You can only use red on the very back of the vehicle. I have stopped for a traffic accident on a country hwy, had the strobes going (full strobes in my old 80 series), and my rock lights on to warn traffic. When the cops got there, they thanked me for securing the scene and used my rock lights on the front to write their notes.

Anyone got any pics of where they mounted their lights? Doesn't have to be strobes in the headlights, I just want to see different ideas.

Is there a way I can wire my HID's to strobe? If that's easier and cheaper than mounting new bulbs I might be willing to go that route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom