Stripping Paint with Dawn Power Dissolver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just thought I'd share my love for Dawn Power Dissolver for paint stripping...Toxicity report for those interested:
Household Products Database - Health and Safety Information on Household Products

Can be bought at Walmart, Ace hdwe.,Lowes,Home Depot, Costco, and ? about 2 bucks a bottle....

Couple of things....I put small pieces in ziplock bags to slow down evaporation, helping the stripping process...Larger pieces, body panels, etc. can be wrapped with saran wrap after spraying with power dissolver...
Power Dissolver is used to cut grease/oil so if you don't wear gloves it will take the oil out of your hands leaving them extremely dry and flaky...

Here is the process I use: (sorry the pics are less than good quality....you'll get the idea though)

I wanted to strip the gauge bezel to reprime and paint....
MVC-033F-1.jpg

After I removed the glass, I put it in a gallon ziplock bag...(Left rubber glass retainers on the bezel)....Sprayed the power dissolver into the ziplock bag...
MVC-035F-1.jpg

Closed the bag and left it overnight....Works in as little as 30 minutes for some light paint removal...
MVC-036F-1.jpg

Took the bezel out the next day and started wiping off the paint with an old Victoria Secret gift card.....:)
MVC-038F.jpg

Follow up with Scotchbrite or steel wool...
MVC-040F.jpg

Take care of a little surface rust before priming/painting and its done...(this pic is really stinky...sorry)
MVC-029F-3.jpg

Rubber glass retainers stayed fine with no damage from the power dissolver...(no damage that I'm aware of ;))...
MVC-030F-1.jpg

Inexpensive to say the least! Have you used it on larger parts? I'm in the process of working on my doors and from the looks of it they have multiple layers of paint. I want to take them down to bare metal to see whats really underneath. Should I spray the doors then lay the saran wrap over that? Will be a big savings for me if it works as well as you say it does. Thanks for the info. Steve

Yeah, I'd lay the door flat, spray it down...you can spread the stuff on big areas if you need to...then just cover it with saran wrap to slow evaporation...You might even be able to find a lawn/trash bag big enough to put the door in....
I've done fenders, hood, and trunk and it works just as well as with the little things....You might need a second application if there are many coats...Its pretty sweet though and because there are no toxic fumes the whole process smells like dish soap....
I've used it on steelie rims too....good luck!

Oven cleaner works as well. Removes overspray of vehicles with ease.

Yeah, I'd lay the door flat, spray it down...you can spread the stuff on big areas if you need to...then just cover it with saran wrap to slow evaporation...You might even be able to find a lawn/trash bag big enough to put the door in....
I've done fenders, hood, and trunk and it works just as well as with the little things....You might need a second application if there are many coats...Its pretty sweet though and because there are no toxic fumes the whole process smells like dish soap....
I've used it on steelie rims too....good luck!

Very useful information, thanks for this!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

This is what I do with my BBQ grill. Before season opens, I get my nasty grill, and stuff it in a hefty garbage bag. Pump some over cleaner in the bag, doesnt even need to be on the grill. Close bag, wait overnight, open bag, pull out clean as new grill!

,,used white ammonia in the big bag before,,,
watch out for the fumes when you cut open the bag the next day,,
will knock you out/over if you got your head right over it,,lol..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom