"Stray" dog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So this guy has been hanging around again. Used to be a day or two a month, maybe 6 months ago he stopped coming around for a while. He "lives" a couple miles away. I called the owner the first few times he started showing up but he didn't seem to care much. "Maybe I'll come by the next few days if I have time." He did come get him one time and the first thing he wanted to know was if we fed him... He has been sleeping on the porch or in the garage for the last week this time. I can't look at him and not feed him, but the guy insists that's how he's supposed to look... such a nice dog too, doesn't jump up on the kids and comes when you call him. Gets along fine with my dog but I'm worried he's teaching him to jump the electric fence which is keeping my dog from roaming the country and getting hit.. again.. A couple times I've found him sleeping in the ditch on the side of the gravel road various places and stopped, he gets up cowering like in going to hit him... what to do?
20201108_151944.jpg
20201108_191128.jpg

Whoever claimed that dog needs to have his ass kicked. That's unforgivable.

Give that dog a home, he needs one.

Either keep the dog, and tell the other guy to pound sand. Or at the very least call animal control-that dog is very underweight. You should not be able to see the hip bones protruding. If you were local to me, I'd offer to give him a home.

Sounds like a sweet dog, I'd keep him. Definitely underweight and likely abused.

Show him some kindness and he'll be loyal to you for life.

We have had a bunch of "show up dogs" on our farm and most all of them were great dogs. One thing to consider is getting the dog up to date on shots, rabies , etc. You want your family and your other dog to be protected if the new one hasn't been vaccinated. He's got bad habits from roaming that now you have to deal with, so be ready for extra trouble. Before spending all the money on him and the family gets attached you might talk to the owner and see about taking him off his hands? He could come back and claim him.

Over twenty years ago we had a malamute show up coughing up blood, beautiful dog, so took him to the vet. Well, several hundred dollars later the vet had pulled a slug out his front leg after it went through his lung. He healed up and I turned him loose, but he decided to stay, we had him for eight years before he passed. I have many stories like that, most good and a few not so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom