Strange sounds..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I feel like a bum because Im not 100% sure what it is that I am hearing, but im guessing someone here has probably seen it before, and may have some suggestions....

on my 83 BJ60 I am hearing strange (popping) sounds when I turn the wheels from side to side. There is usually only a noise when the car is at a stop and I try to turn the front tires the full length of their span. It feel(sounds) like it is coming from the suspension, you can feel the popping through the floor boards. I would almost describe the noise as similar to that of a boat that's up on plane as it hits small waves.

does anyone have any ideas as to if this is likely a steering problem, or a suspension problem?
-walk

Walk it sounds like the leaf packs in your front springs shifting around.
I would get under there and get someone else to turn the wheel while you track it down.
You should be able to feel which component is at fault by touch.

suspension, could be bushings, loose ubolts, broken centering pin. some springs make that sound from day one, others develope it after the installation of larger tires.
could be also loose wheel bearings, worn king pin bearings
just my suggestion.
<mine has been doing this since 1999 and hasn't gotten worse or better>

I would guess you might have some steering arms worn or bent and when you turn you are sliding off of or hitting something making the "pop" noise. My second guess would be with Wayne on the king pin bearings.

ok, and just as an outside chance are you birfields ok? usually this would be something if the hubs are locked and you are moving while turning you will hear a clicking noise however if the birfields are broke (or exploded) you could be hearing some peices in the housing binding when turning.

Cheers,

Michael

no its allways there, regardless if im locked in or not.... ill have my roomie move it around in the morning and see what I can see...

_Walker_ said:
no its allways there, regardless if im locked in or not.... ill have my roomie move it around in the morning and see what I can see...

if is always present, I thought in the wheel or kinping bearings way ..

this may sound dumb but do you have stock mup flaps? Is it possible that the mud flaps are being caught by your tyres on a hard turn and rubbing up against the lugs on your tyres? My 70 did that and it sounded awful...and the noise came right thru the floor boards. I just had the wife drive it in tight circles as I walked along side and noticed it. Maybe a long shot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom