Strange occasional sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I just recently finished my 1FZ rebuild on my 1996 Land Cruiser. The engine seems to be running great, but I have been getting an occasional sound that I can't pinpoint. This description will be terrible, so I apologize in advance. But just hoping that maybe someone might have some experience with something similar.

Under acceleration every once in a while, I'll hear a sound that sounds like a sudden release of pressure, followed by a hiss/cards in a spoke sound for a while. It almost reminds me of a turbo wastegate sound at first, or even a hydraulic hose bursting. It startles me and I always check the rear view to see if I am dumping fluid. Releasing the throttle makes it go away. It is fairly rare that it happens, but I am stumped as to what it could be. I've read that slight mis-alignment of the starter can cause strange noises, but with how random this seems, I don't know.

Any thoughts?

Any smell of gas?

Any smell of gas?

I don't smell gas in association with this sound.

Previously, I did have a fuel smell - ever since I bought the vehicle, there was a gas smell problem, and it persisted even after the rebuild. There was also a swooshing sound upon opening the fuel tank. I replaced the charcoal canister and that problem seems to have gone away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom