Stove or grill? (1 Viewer)

Do you prefer cooking with a stove or a grill while camping?

• Stove

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Grill

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I didn't vote because it depends on what I have planned to cook. I have a great little Coleman stove that gets used a lot on short camp trips (1-2 night). On backpacking trips, everything is about boiling water to rehydrate, so again, stove (SnowPeak Giga Power). On longer cruiser camping trips (3-however many nights) I probably bring the stove and larger camp grill depending on planned menu.

This^^^^

Long Version:
I voted grill, because that's what I prefer, but reality is that I'm usually using a 2 burner stove because it's more versatile for what I have to do when we camp out of the truck. Maybe one day I'll master the fine art of heat control using embers from the fire under a skillet on a rack but the stove suits me until then. I don't like pissing off the people I have to feed by experimenting/learning too much.

The stove also makes it easier for somebody else to substitute cook if needed. Even my wife can figure out how to heat soup on it without ruining it AND destroying the pot!

We use a small alcohol stove when we want to go light and only need to boil water to rehydrate things. I actually usually have it doing coffee duty no matter what other cooking method we use. The generic Amazon 'pocket rockets' also work well for this and already live in my emergency box.

Often, if dinner is meat, then it's steak strips or chunks, or brats, on sticks over the fire. Breakfast will then be eggs, sausage, bacon hash browns and whatever done in a skillet or griddle on the stove.

My next 2-person trip is probably going to be only the pocket rocket (pasta dinner, omelet bags b'fast) with some vegetables done in foil packs in the embers. Hopefully there'll be a fish to do in the fire instead of pasta one night.

Short Version:
Determine what you want to cook and how many mouths/how often you'll need to do it. Buy accordingly.

I have a grill/griddle topper that fits perfectly over my two burner stove. It gives me both without schlepping around two appliances. Add a small wok and I can cook almost anything.

We have a Coleman road trip grill that lives on my roof rack. I can pull the griddle and grate off if I want to use it as a stove. The nice thing about having it on the roof rack is when I get done wheeling/camping and go to the car wash. We can pressure wash the grill and the cruiser at the same time. Usually I take it off the rack and lay all the parts out on the concrete, but yeah it makes it easy.

I updated the other thread but since there are replies here I'd figure I'd update as well. I picked up the newish Camp Chef Summit stove which appears to have replaced the Everest stove at the REI annual sale. So far so good - only tested it boiling water on the patio, and it did a quart from cold to furious boil in 7 minutes on a household saucepan. I'm happy and will field test in the near future.

IMG_2726.JPG

This is my backpacking stove. It gets used more than any other. With a little titanium pot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom