Stock Suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi guys,

as possible upgrades in the future, i was thinking about putting on an arb front bumper, and also a rear bumper (most likely the one sean is building) onto my 97 80. i dont see me wanting to get a lift as of now. i currently have stock springs and shocks on there (will replace the oem shocks with bilsteins soon). any issues with the new bumpers with this set up?

thanks,
john

With the added weight of the ARB front bumper (~140lbs) and the weight of the rear bumper (a lot of lbs), I would imagine you would have some sagging. I would at least replace the stock springs and shocks with either new OEM factory (CDan) or the Old Man Emu stock level lift kit.

Do some searching...it may yield some good pictures

Yeah, I agree with 94SRUNNER. If you still have the factory coils, they're getting kind of weary and droopy by now.

An ARB front bumper alone may not require extra capacity. But anything more, i.e. a winch in the bumper and/or dual batteries, practically needs higher capacity than stock. Coil springs are much more sensitive to additional weight than leaf springs, for instance.

An aftermarket rear bumper is going to require additional capacity in the coils, as it will be considerably heavier than the factory bumper. Depends on what you put on, but it'll likely be even heavier than the ARB up front. Add in passengers and/or cargo and the back end is going to be dragging.

I am very happy with the OME stock height/ higher capacity coils installed on our truck. The only thing is that I may end up needing even higher capacity in the rear if I add the auxiliary fuel tank I want. The OME 2.5" lift and others provide higher capacities, but I think there's a solution for higher capacity at stock height, too -- just haven't gone looking for it yet.

Thanks guys,

I'll look into the higher capacity coils from OME for stock height. I did some searching but most threads I saw dealt more with lifts than trying to keep stock height, so thanks for the input. Is the ride rougher when you guys swapped it out to these coils?

Other than the ARB front bumper (without winch) and a rear swing out bumper, I dont see adding anything else on, other than possibly snow trips where there would be 4 passengers.

-John

Last edited:
Thanks Kimo. Just what I was looking for. I'll look to get the 861/862's and match them up with my Bilstein 1477 / 1478's.

John,
Yes, the OME stock height springs will give you a little lift, as Kimosabe noted. When I first put them on, they gave me just what I was looking for up front -- restoring and even improving the ride, which had been pretty sketchy after the ARB/winch/battery install.

In the back, they definitely gave me some lift. But I had everything out of the back of the truck behind the front seats, since I was starting on the build of our drawer/camper conversion. Now that it's installed and stocked with various camping items, recovery gear, and tools, things have settled back to just above stock ride height, but without the droop from old coils that it was suffering from.

If you aren't going to put much of a load on, then you're right to be cautious about getting too much extra capacity. Because of a coil spring's sensitivity to weight, when you have too high a spring rate for what you're normally carrying, then the ride can get rough. People who choose too high a capacity in the lifted OME coils sometimes complain, based on threads I've seen.

If you really are going to be spending the majority of the time running around unloaded, then a new set of Toyota stock coils might be the way to go.

I had the back empty and it was fine driving around town with the OME stock height coils on, but the front was loaded, so I'm not sure that is enough to say whether the OME stock height won't cause a rough ride, IMO, no, if you went with OME stock height, I don't think that it would be what I'd call rough. YMMV

Of course, the ride also depends a lot on the shocks. If there's no winch up front, I'd recommend going with a set of factory Tokico shocks. I did when I installed the new coils. They're still on the back and work great there. However, the stock Tokicos just weren't up to dampening the high capacity coils needed to carry all the weight up front, so I went with a pair of new OME super Nitro shocks. Works great with the mixed parentaged shocks. But I suspect that the Tokicos will be OK up front with just the ARB, so I'd recommend them whatever mix of coils you decide to go with.

Thanks Mike.

I'll probably try the OME 861/862 route and the Bilsteins since I currently have the Bilsteins sittin in my garage waiting to be installed. And you are right, most of the time, other than the bumpers in the near future, it will not be loaded. Hopefully the ride wont be too harsh.

Also, although it may sag, no issues with the stock setup right now if I wanted to put in the rear bumper soon right? More anxious to get the rear bumper installed right now. As soon as I'm not lazy, I'll get the coils and install them with the shocks.

Thanks again.
-John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom