Stock Rim Color Code and other grey paint without factory code (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.pirateslair.com
After a long search, and I mean long, for a legitimate Toyota color code for stock rims (steelies) I can attest there is no existing factory evidence for it. However, in the immortal words of Sean Connery, "never say never". However, in the vacuum of written evidence and a myriad heap of opinions, rattlecan afficianados and myopic powder coaters, I finally painted my rims with a real color-coded professional paint.

With a little help from the paint chief at Specter and some supporting evidence from other notable restorers I leave you with this code.

PPG Delstar DAR 3524 Silver Sand Gray Poly. Acrylic Enamel
OEM Code: 15W WA8311

I blasted my rims and followed with appropriate PPG primer and then four light coats. Rims are perfect and the single stage paint will allow you to rub out most scratches.

Nice work. Pics?

I have the code and charts
38650453.jpg

38650478.jpg

chart covers the 55, both(and another are out of the same parts book I have)

After a long search, and I mean long, for a legitimate Toyota color code for stock rims (steelies) I can attest there is no existing factory evidence for it. However, in the immortal words of Sean Connery, "never say never". However, in the vacuum of written evidence and a myriad heap of opinions, rattlecan afficianados and myopic powder coaters, I finally painted my rims with a real color-coded professional paint.

With a little help from the paint chief at Specter and some supporting evidence from other notable restorers I leave you with this code.

I blasted my rims and followed with appropriate PPG primer and then four light coats. Rims are perfect and the single stage paint will allow you to rub out most scratches.

72FJRimColor2.jpg
72FJRgtQtr.jpg

Nice work. Pics?

I have the code and charts
38650453.jpg

38650478.jpg

chart covers the 55, both(and another are out of the same parts book I have)
I appreciate the T1447 number and I found it quickly in factory reference material too. No pro paint distributor could connect Toyota T1447 Grey into a current/modern translation of any professional paint chip. This was also my experience when I called CCOT, Man-a-Fre, about five more restorers nationwide either. It was only when Specter hooked me up with their paint shop manager was I able to get a real modern, in this case, PPG code. Now, it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist out there, but when the guys at Specter tell me they had to color match a steelie to a modern paint chip I'm figuring they found the same problem as I did. I'm happy with my, er, Specter's choice.

JT Outfitters sells the grey in spray cans.

Toyota Grey Trim
I also found this to be true. However, this was not the quest. The quest was to have a modern paint code by which you could go to your local professional auto paint store and order a national brand enamel, LPU or epoxy and get the correct color. Most parts companies have what they call Toyota Grey, and I'm sure they are fine.

Your local PPG automotive will mix the right factory colors and load them into a spray can or sell you the paint and a can of hardener for you to spray yourself. Works really well.

20150727_123610.jpg
20150728_180437.jpg
20150728_194045.jpg

And for those on a budget like me you can go to your local wally world $5 a can.

20150728_191646.jpg

20150728_191947.jpg

I don't see getting all obsessed over painted wheels so mine are Rustoleum hammered gray. I touched them up a little after nine years when I had KO2's put on the truck the other day.

View attachment 1108780 View attachment 1108781

I appreciate the T1447 number and I found it quickly in factory reference material too. No pro paint distributor could connect Toyota T1447 Grey into a current/modern translation of any professional paint chip. This was also my experience when I called CCOT, Man-a-Fre, about five more restorers nationwide either. It was only when Specter hooked me up with their paint shop manager was I able to get a real modern, in this case, PPG code. Now, it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist out there, but when the guys at Specter tell me they had to color match a steelie to a modern paint chip I'm figuring they found the same problem as I did. I'm happy with my, er, Specter's choice.
Is the paint the paint color for the wheels on this red FJ40 from the first post?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom