Stock height differences? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious if anyone knows if there is a difference in stock height between a 75 and a 79 FJ40. My brother has a 75. I have a 79. we both have stock springs, rims, shackles and the same size of tires. His sits almost 2" higher than mine. Just curious if there was a difference between the years, or if my springs are just extra saggy. His sat in a barn for 20 yrs befor he picked it up and restored it. Mine apparently was used for rock hounding by the originla owner. But the bed isn't all beat up like he hauled a lot of rocks. My springs are almost flat horizontally.

I think you've answered your own question, but you can measure on your brother's rig, the distance between the bumpstop and the spring, then compare your measurement to your own. I'll bet spring sag is the culprit, especially since you know the rockhauling history of the truck.
If you live anywhere near a metropolitan area, there are always spring shops that can re-arch them for you, but I've heard that it does not last long. Probably depends on who does it and how they do it. Springs are not that expensive, but the shipping kills you.
Depends on your application for your truck. This might be a good time for a lift.
GL
Ed Long

Yeah, you'd be surprised how much those sprigs will sag over the years. As far as I know there is no difference in stock heights between the two. It does certainly osund like your springs are sagged out. I'd bet your brothers have quite a bit more arch than yours left in 'em. You should think about a lift or you can find someone on here that has a set of stock springs in good shape to put under there.

thanks degnol and cajunqueen. a lift is actually on the way. I was just curious if there is a difference. But I also realized after I posted that he has a soft top and mine is hard. I would imagine that makes a bit of difference as well. I should have thought that through a bit more before posting eh?

Yeah, thereis a little bit of weight difference there. What kind of lift did you decide on and how much?
Good luck with it! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom