Stock air cleaner question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 74 with the f motor and older f style air cleaner. I want to change to the newer 2F air cleaner assembly. What all would I have to change? I assume I need to change the carb so it will have the stud to screw down air cleaner, I need a carb anyway. Will a newer model carb bolt up to the 74 F manifold? And what other changes would I have to make? Thanks for all the help.

Odd question. &nbsp:Do you need a carb or an air cleaner? The newer air cleaner is no better. Most people who are shopping for carbs buy the older Aisin carbs that are for non-USA spec cruisers and don't have all the smog stuff. If you are looking for an aftermarket carb, a lot of people sell Webers. Still, I don't know why you would want to switch just the air cleaner ...

I need to switch because my power steering kit uses the same mounting point as the old style air cleaner.  I was going to either use the newer style air cleaner or get a canister filter assembly from a tractor and integrate it into a snorkel. Where can I find Aisin Carburetors??

Hey. Now I understand. As for original Toyota Carbs,
Cool Cruisers sells them rebuillt, SOR and other sell
them new $$$, but the best bet is a guru named
Jim Chenoweth who rebuilds them fj40jim@aol.com.
He can also let you know about the air cleaner
options if you buy a carb from him.

I'm having the same problem with my 74. I think that it may be possible to pivot the air cleaner back towards the firewall and make a new bracket that hooks up to the PS pump bracket. I'm sure the power steering will be great once it's done, but it's been a real pain in the ass to get to that point. All the good stuff is made for 2F's so us F guys have to be creative!

You can move that air cleaner around if you wish. I also like it a lot more than the 2F air cleaners but whatever floats your boat. You can get a 2F air cleaner to bolt on with relatively little problems. You might need a later (2F) valve cover but it should fit fine, you'll need it to mount the later 2f air cleaner that sits on top of the valve cover. You shouldn't have to switch carbs but if you do, the '74 F is almost identical to a 2F and since both use standard 2F intakes (unlike earlier Fs) you should be able to switch carbs easily. I just sold one for a FJ60. Too bad, it went cheap. I also run a Weber 32/36 these days that is also designed to be run desmogged that I like alot. Probably the best option I think if you're looking for a quick and easy solution. Kit also comes with a K&N air cleaner :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom