Still have that noise...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
Definitely not the Cat plates.
This is a sort of shuffling scuffling noise you can only hear when the vehicle is in first gear. Seems to be coming from transfer case or near passenger side.
Louder when in 4 low or going up a hill goes away right when truck shifts into second. :confused:
I was messing around last night and put it in first, kept it there and drove around the property. Definitely has to do with first gear.
Kind of sounds like rough material rubbing together. Sorry I cannot really reproduce the noise buy spelling it.
kind of a SHHHHHHH SHHHHHHH SHHHHHHHHH. Like sandpaper or something.
Any ideas?? Is my transmission taking a sh*t on me?

Okay, when I locked it...you could hear the sound coming up through TC shifter, an amplified, rythmic brushing sound...
Anything? Anything?
I am at a loss.
I have searched the forum and there is not reference that I can find....

It is likely that you have an early 93. The lever was mounted to a cast bracket that was hard bolted to a boss on top of the transmission case almost directly above the planetary gear set. Vibrations from this heavy duty TRUCK transmission went straight up the lever and into the interior. A modified bracket was devised to isolate the vibrations using a thick rubber gasket and rubber bushed bolts. the part numbers are as follows. 1 36345-60010, 1 36344-60040, 1 36331-60040, 4 91611-60830, 1 90949-01968, 4 36345-60020, 4 36324-60070. These parts were used in production from 11-93 to 1-95 when the transmission design was changed and the 2nd gear start feature was added. The install is fairly easy. The console comes out and the auto trans shifter assembly needs to be removed. Then you un-bolt the old bracket with the lever in it and remove it. Transfer the lever to the new bracket and re-install with the new gasket and bushed sleeves. This gets rid of almost all of the noise. The lever will still vibrate somewhat, but after all it is a truck.

D-

Cruiserdan,

That is a most comforting piece of information.
I will order the parts and take care if the issue.
Vibration I don't mind and even the noise does not bother me, as long as I know my transmission is not falling apart. "After all, it is a truck"...;)
I have a '73 FJ40 and vibrations abound so I guess I will have to get used to these as well.
BTW, you are correct on the "EARLY '93" part. Manufacture date is 11/92.
Thank you for your help.
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom