Stihl M-Tronic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not a logger or expert but have used a number of saws over the years and currently own around 10 of them.

About 12 years ago I bought a Stihl 361 and thought it was a strong saw until I traded into a 661 C-M last year. No comparison on power and it will sit and idle as long as you leave it. My other saws will eventually choke.

I lean towards the most simple system but the 661 has impressed me with performance and reliability. From my experience you won't go wrong with one.

I'm not a logger or expert but have used a number of saws over the years and currently own around 10 of them.

About 12 years ago I bought a Stihl 361 and thought it was a strong saw until I traded into a 661 C-M last year. No comparison on power and it will sit and idle as long as you leave it. My other saws will eventually choke.

I lean towards the most simple system but the 661 has impressed me with performance and reliability. From my experience you won't go wrong with one.

661 is a big mofo.

Have you had any problems with the M-Tronic system?

It is big and when I traded it for baling hay I thought I made a mistake. Then I used it. I would not recommend it for a novice but if you know how to use a saw it is less work than a smaller one unless you are trimming. Around here we mostly cut oak and it just rips through like no other saw I've used. It does burn more gas and uses more chain oil than the 361 but given the rate of cutting I don't really care.

It starts pretty easy and cuts like a beast with a sharp chain. The only time I've bogged it down was my fault trying to down a tree that was falling the other way. I've had no problems with the M-Tronic system but have only used it for a few months.

It is the only saw I've ever had that will sit at idle for an extended time without stalling.

I should add that the guy I traded with is a local logger that I'd trust with anything. He trades off his saws within a year to keep his warranty so my 661 is not old but has been used hard and runs great. It has a 20" bar but I'm sure it would run longer bars with no problem. I just haven't tried them.

I'm just curious. Have you tried a M-Tronic saw yet?

My previous posts were not to push a 661 but to say that it works well on this saw. Haven't tried the other sizes.

I'm just curious. Have you tried a M-Tronic saw yet?

My previous posts were not to push a 661 but to say that it works well on this saw. Haven't tried the other sizes.

I have not, most of the guys I work with use Husqvarna, and the other Stihl guy runs an older 362.

Local shop informed me on Monday that the 500i won't be in store until mid July. That won't work for me, looks like I'm going to go get a MS462 this evening.

I also swapped the 28" bar on my MS290 for a 18" bar and a skip tooth chain, it is already tuned pretty hot, not it runs like a rat on crack.

Local shop informed me on Monday that the 500i won't be in store until mid July. That won't work for me, looks like I'm going to go get a MS462 this evening.

I also swapped the 28" bar on my MS290 for a 18" bar and a skip tooth chain, it is already tuned pretty hot, not it runs like a rat on crack.

Should be a good saw. I had to do work on my 361 a couple of times early and think it was due to running regular 87 octane gas with ethanol. After problems with various engines and cars I only run premium gas to avoid ethanol altogether. Also the local shop recommended premium gas and Stihl synthetic 2 cycle oil. Can't vouch that it is worth it but they are a reputable shop so I'm running that in my saws.

Last I heard premium has ethanol also.
The only out is NON Ethanol (which by the way is available in higher than 87 octane now), and the grandly overpriced premix stuff.
I use non ethanol in all my tools that dont see weekly use. Much cheaper in the long run, and most every thing starts after its been sitting for a spell.
Bobmo

Should be a good saw. I had to do work on my 361 a couple of times early and think it was due to running regular 87 octane gas with ethanol. After problems with various engines and cars I only run premium gas to avoid ethanol altogether. Also the local shop recommended premium gas and Stihl synthetic 2 cycle oil. Can't vouch that it is worth it but they are a reputable shop so I'm running that in my saws.
Last I heard premium has ethanol also.
The only out is NON Ethanol (which by the way is available in higher than 87 octane now), and the grandly overpriced premix stuff.
I use non ethanol in all my tools that dont see weekly use. Much cheaper in the long run, and most every thing starts after its been sitting for a spell.
Bobmo

Luckily I only run corn free gas in all my small engines, it is readily available here! My 40 likes it also.

The MS462 is a great saw. I picked one up last summer when a couple 30-40 inch poplars fell in my yard. No problems with it to date. It's such a different saw compared to the 036 my dad gave me. I think he actually bought it in West Germany in the late 70s. While the 036 is slow and lumbering with plenty of torque, the 462 is a speed demon and just works through wet wood like nothing. The Sthil Master Tech who sold me the saw said not to use it to limb with since the M-Tronic would adjust to that usage but I didn't notice any difference.

The MS462 is a great saw. I picked one up last summer when a couple 30-40 inch poplars fell in my yard. No problems with it to date. It's such a different saw compared to the 036 my dad gave me. I think he actually bought it in West Germany in the late 70s. While the 036 is slow and lumbering with plenty of torque, the 462 is a speed demon and just works through wet wood like nothing. The Sthil Master Tech who sold me the saw said not to use it to limb with since the M-Tronic would adjust to that usage but I didn't notice any difference.

So far it's a heck of a saw, I haven't got out to put it to work for a full day yet, but bucking up a couple logs that were in my backyard it was pretty sweet.

With the way the snow is melting in the high country I should be able to get it working soon.

Plus more teeth, equals less sharpening.
I run skip chain. Faster cutting, the chain literally pulls itself into the wood. Love it.
B3DAFAC7-1F79-4E60-94AB-38835215205B.jpeg

FB640C7C-64B2-46BE-9F77-7A73DA69E04C.jpeg

I put that MS462 to work today, this saw is such a nice step up from the 290 that I was running. I felled a fir that was about 30" across at the base, bucked it up, and got back down feeling fresh. The saw runs super smooth with a ton of power behind it, the key to me was how smooth it runs under load. Starting it is a breeze, hell, it may be lighter than my 290.

20200518_141628.jpg
20200518_141619.jpg
20200518_103537.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom