stiff steering normal after bearing repack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
OK, I’m back on the road with repacked front axles (wheel and pivot bearings were all good), a rebuilt cv joint and a straightened drive shaft plus my third alignment in three months. Visa has got me covered (Ouch). Has anyone else found the steering just a tad stiff after this kind of work? I feel like I’m driving an M1A1 out there (or a Leopard II since I’m in Canada)

Do you also have the 120mm smooth bore cannon? It is particularly effective with DU penetrators....... :eek:

How much stiffer? If your trunions were loose before and they reset the pre-load properly that would stiffen it up some....Did they remove the knuckles? Sorry to sound like the Spanish inquisition.......Just thinking out loud (and scoring another 8))

In Canada our tanks are strictly for humanitarian purposes so they don't use actual ammunition in the guns as this might hurt someone. Also our tanks don't move because this requires that they use fuel which might harm the environment. They do make good planters.

Let's see, with loose (1) being the steering on a 76' Royal Monaco Brougham station wagon and stiff (10) being a 1966 Mercury Ranger pickup with manual steering, I'd say it has moved from a 5 to an 8.

-H-Re: stiff steering normal after bearing repack?

-H-

Next time I'm in Los Alamos for a match, I plan to stop by The Black Hole and see if I can pick me up a chunk. I wanna stick it in the garden to see if it will keep the rabbits out of the beets....... :dunno:

Oh, Simon,

S**t, forgot about you......Sorry..

Maybe the Birf is Tight from the rebuild...Run it for a day or two and see how it shakes out........Dan

Before I did my knuckle job I hated the way it steered. It was stiff and I had to use my hand to steer going down the road. I took the knuckle apart and the steering bearing were so bad that when I turned the steering arm it would lock in three places. The bearing were long gone. I now can steer with one finger. It sounds like who ever did the job didn't' use a spring guage to test the load on the bearings. There are shims to correct for the bearing load or preload, I forgot the correct trem. I installed new newfields too and it is not stiff. The same is for the fj60 with a new steering damper OME.
kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom