Stereo Option - Bluetooth System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to add a sound system to my 1973 FJ40, but don't want to cut up my dash and I want to keep the original radio. I also dont want a Tuffy box or a battery powered speaker.

I have seen some whispers of Bluetooth systems that connect to your devices without the need for a head unit. I searched but didn't find much as far as completed setups go (or much within the last few years).

I know people have done them, so does anybody have any insight? I am planning on getting one of the units with a controller and amp, and I want to make some boxes for speakers that go under my long jump seats.

These are the products I am considering. Are there any more out there that are better options?

Amazon.com: Kicker 40PXIBT502 2 Channel Portable Bluetooth Amplifier: Car Electronics

https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-MC900B-...F8&qid=1469596683&sr=8-1&keywords=boss+mc900b

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Compact-Automotive-Marine-Amplifier/dp/B00UTXQL74/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469596843&sr=8-2&keywords=bluetooth+marine+amp

Thanks!

Retrosound Model 2 - modern stereo components with adjustability to fit almost any location.

Looks like this when your order it in all black. That is a Retrosound mini euro faceplate - it just barely covers the opening.

upload_2016-7-27_8-15-39.png

Nevermind, just saw that you want to keep the original radio.....my bad.
I like this option. Thanks for sending it over! I would be okay with something that look a little more original that modern head unites do. I also like seeing it in black. I have only seen the chrome one.

What did you do for speakers?

Under the seats and up inside the roll bar. Drilled a small hole in the rear of the roll bar, hidden by the brackets that attach the rear roll bar pieces. on drivers side the wire runs under the jack mount, and along the edge of the fuel separator cover on the passenger side. Hardly noticeable. Mine is a 1980 with gas tank underneath, so obviously your floor shape will be different, just hide the wires as best you can.

speakers are 4.5 inch ultra thin speakers - also from retrosound. I'm sure there is something better out there but I was really worried about the depth on the speaker mounts. I can measure them, but I'm pretty sure they are less than 2 inches deep.

speakers are 4.5 inch ultra thin speakers - also from retrosound. I'm sure there is something better out there but I was really worried about the depth on the speaker mounts. I can measure them, but I'm pretty sure they are less than 2 inches deep.
Here are some links to those speakers in case anybody wants it: 4.5-Inch Standard Series Stereo Speakers and 4.5-Inch Ultra-thin Replacement Speakers
And then from Crutchfield: RetroSound S-42 and RetroSound R-452N.

It is a little confusing because Retrosound is calling them 4.5" and Crutchfield calls them 4".

One last thing - the center holes in the kick panels are not quite big enough for those speakers & the pre drilled bolt holes don't line up, but again it is a pretty easy fix to enlarge the center hole & drill 4 new mounting holes.

If you don't absolutely have to have a bluetooth setup - any 2 channel amp will work with a headphone to RCA adapter. Only visible thing would be the cord. I ran a few setups that way. Cheap and easy.

If you don't absolutely have to have a bluetooth setup - any 2 channel amp will work with a headphone to RCA adapter. Only visible thing would be the cord. I ran a few setups that way. Cheap and easy.
That is an option for sure. Not against it. How much power did the amps you ran have?

I run this class D amp for the mains: 2 channel amplifiers

About 125W RMS per channel and it's super compact.

Running the Polk Audio MM series 6.5" with them. Pretty nice budget system.

Also some basic A/B mono subwoofer amp that's putting about 150W RMS through a single 10"

Not for the head unit but for speaker ideas and amp mounting and the products I used check out my setup:

Won a '74 40 on a coin toss...

Front speaker location is on page 7 scroll down:

Won a '74 40 on a coin toss...

If you can integrate a subwoofer you will be much happier with the performance.

I am looking to add a sound system to my 1973 FJ40, but don't want to cut up my dash and I want to keep the original radio. I also dont want a Tuffy box or a battery powered speaker.

I have seen some whispers of Bluetooth systems that connect to your devices without the need for a head unit. I searched but didn't find much as far as completed setups go (or much within the last few years).

I know people have done them, so does anybody have any insight? I am planning on getting one of the units with a controller and amp, and I want to make some boxes for speakers that go under my long jump seats.

These are the products I am considering. Are there any more out there that are better options?

Amazon.com: Kicker 40PXIBT502 2 Channel Portable Bluetooth Amplifier: Car Electronics

Amazon product ASIN B00IBI518Y
Amazon product ASIN B00UTXQL74
Thanks!
Another option that doesn’t cut anything and uses existing bolts. Limited fab for mount, and ability to take speaker with...

JBL EXTREME2
Amerex 862 Model Heavy Duty Strap Style Bracket

DE898F86-5830-4CDC-8CD0-E77B80579DF4.jpeg
905AFC63-0B5F-4C85-B476-7FB7710C178F.jpeg
D08B8E85-4416-4F67-BDCA-3695495C9FD7.jpeg

6D8793EF-C602-444D-9830-FE2D304EE94C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom