Step lights don't turn off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

So my wife took the LX570 for running some errands and this everything I noticed that the step lights are still on with the vehicle closed and locked.

Tried to take it for a spin and see if it helps, but after parking it the problem persists.

I tried too look for answers using search button but came back with nothing... for now the battery is unplugged til tomorrow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pull your door sill trim and inspect for water around the harness.

@bloc thank you for the suggestion - unfortunately all looks to be dry under the Plastics.

20240304_105937.jpg

20240304_105927.jpg

For now I pulled the fuse #54 under the hood and the lights are off.
Does anybody know where the dimmer for these lights is located? - I wonder if that is what's wrong with them staying on

I put the fuse back in during the last oil change to see if there is any change.
Well unfortunately the problem persists.
Does anyone have any idea where the dimmer or the timer for the dimmer is? or maybe a relay that controls how long the step lights stay on? or any other ideas how to remedy this silly thing?
The fuse #54 also controls the light on my back gate illuminating the open gate area - I miss it a little in this situation...

I put the fuse back in during the last oil change to see if there is any change.
Well unfortunately the problem persists.
Does anyone have any idea where the dimmer or the timer for the dimmer is? or maybe a relay that controls how long the step lights stay on? or any other ideas how to remedy this silly thing?
The fuse #54 also controls the light on my back gate illuminating the open gate area - I miss it a little in this situation...
I’ll dig into the EWD today or tomorrow. The 2011 in your sig I assume?

@bloc - Yes Sir, and thank you for your help!

This one is kindof a doozy.

The lights themselves are in the second image. Appears it may be an issue in the "multiplex network body ECU" which is different than the main body control module. Into that module, the green and red MPX+/- wires are from the canbus network, the black MPX wire is from the "overhead module" which has the dome and map lights.

I'd personally suggest you get access to the FSM and do some digging. This could be a tough one to figure out. I also do remember someone having an issue like this in the past.. I know I've had to dig around and find these lights for an LX in the EWD before, because I remember finding it odd they are in the interior light section. So there may be some troubleshooting for this issue elsewhere on the board.

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 8.53.59 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 8.54.15 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 8.58.20 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 8.58.35 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 8.58.52 AM.png

The plug for the light to the sliders comes out from the body around the B pillar (one on each side). You could disconnect the cable there and put the fuse back in to get the other functionality back. I see you have Metaltech sliders. Did they do anything weird to the wiring when installing those? I assume the lights have worked normally for some period after the slider install?

Also, do your mirror puddle lights stay on as well, or just the slider lights?

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Ok so the funny thing is that interior dome lights are working as they should dimming and all.

The sliders were installed by me, and they have been on for at least 2.5 years - I connected the existing step light wiring to the waterproof LED lights installed slightly above the openings in the structure of MT sliders.

I may revisit the connectors, but I soldered them on with shrinkable sleeves over them - personally I don't think they are the issue and don't even know how they could be (no power yes but constant power?)

Mirror puddle lights work as normal.

This is new behavior? Are they full brightness or dimmed when they are supposed to be off?

Just occurred to me you said LED. In another vehicle I replaced the halogen interior bulbs with LED, and they'd stay on dimly full-time. Turns out the line had just a little current on it even with the halogens, but it wasn't enough to illuminate the bulb. For much more efficient LEDs, it was.

Maybe worth looking in to..

They are fully lit and this is a new behavior, everything worked perfectly for 2.5 years

So, apparently fuse #54 also controls remote start option - not working right now that I pulled it.

Just spitballing, but most of the times in Toyotas, I think the dimmer is controlled on the ground side of the circuit. I wonder if your connections are somehow creating a ground to complete the circuit. Something like a pinched wire in the frame. That would give constant lights on bypassing the dimmer and control functions of the ECU. Either that or it’s fried in the ECU doing the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom