Steering won't turn as far right as left (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok - I can't figure this one out at all. On my '97 FJ80 (LH drive) I noticed that turning to the right wasn't nearly as sharp as to the left. I brought her into the garage and the steering wheel turns two full turns to the left but only 1.5 to the right. To eliminate the steering box (recently replaced but the turning was like the before I replaced it), I jacked the rig up and disconnected the drag link from the pitman arm on the steering box. Simply pushing the wheels left and right I was able to visibly confirm that they turned more to the left than the right. I then looked for possible reasons and it turns out that it is simply hitting the steering stops when turning right - no other binding or obvious problems.

I've adjusted the stops all the way in (to maximize turning to the right) but it is still hitting the stops before getting to the two full steering wheel turns to the right.

I've confirmed that the wheels are centered to the also centered pitman arm and that the pitman arm when disconnected will turn well beyond the point where the stops are hit.

The steering stabilizer and everything else appear to be installed correctly and there are no visible bends to the rod ends, frame, etc. I also just got an alignment and it made no difference.

What the heck could be making it do this?!!!

Thanks!

Just to be clear... You've adjusted all four steering stops all the way in, and with the steering box disconnected from the drag link, you still hit a stop when manually pushing the wheels to the right?
Which stop are you hitting? Right side or left side? Frontside of the axle or rearward side of the axle?
When you installed the steering box did you find the center of the sweep and matched that to the centered steering wheel?

I've only had to adjust the two stops that affect turning to the right (back stop on right wheel and front stop on left), but yes - with those all the way in, I'm hitting the stops before the wheels turn as much to the right as they do to the left.

I've only had to adjust the two stops that affect turning to the right (back stop on right wheel and front stop on left), but yes - with those all the way in, I'm hitting the stops before the wheels turn as much to the right as they do to the left.
Mine's the same way, I didn't put much effort into figuring it out. I moved all my stops all the way in and it was the same. I'll see what you come up with

What did you do to centre the pitmann arm?

There's match marks on the Pittman arm and steering box sector shaft.

With the stops adjusted, drag link disconnected, are you physically getting as much steering lock on both sides?

With drag link disconnected, are you able to get two full turns to left and right? I suspect not. From memory, the steering box won't give you two full turns in both directions.

Also, check the splines on the sector shaft atand the Pittman arm are straight, and parallel with the shaft. It's wire common to twist the sector shaft.

It's possible at some point, someone removed the steering wheel, and shifted its position by couple of splines on the steering column to correct misalignment due to a twisted sector shaft.

What did you do to centre the pitmann arm?

There's match marks on the Pittman arm and steering box sector shaft.

With the stops adjusted, drag link disconnected, are you physically getting as much steering lock on both sides?

With drag link disconnected, are you able to get two full turns to left and right? I suspect not. From memory, the steering box won't give you two full turns in both directions.

Also, check the splines on the sector shaft atand the Pittman arm are straight, and parallel with the shaft. It's wire common to twist the sector shaft.

It's possible at some point, someone removed the steering wheel, and shifted its position by couple of splines on the steering column to correct misalignment due to a twisted sector shaft.

I appreciate the reply. The problem is definitely not with the steering box (brand new) as the wheels won’t turn as far to the right as left - even with the drag link disconnected from the pitman.

At this point I’ve bottomed out the steering stops for right hand turns and it’s reasonably close. No idea why I have this variation though.

I appreciate the reply. The problem is definitely not with the steering box (brand new) as the wheels won’t turn as far to the right as left - even with the drag link disconnected from the pitman.

At this point I’ve bottomed out the steering stops for right hand turns and it’s reasonably close. No idea why I have this variation though.
I would look at trunnion bearings next. They wear in a small area and could be grooved, not letting it move.

Max steering angles are specified in the FSM on page SA-5. You may want to look at that before adjusting the steering end stops.

10-4. Will check to make sure I’m ok. Though I expect I’m well under the limit. Thanks!

Just read in another thread that the steering stabilizer can be oriented incorrectly and cause this. I have the trail gear set up, maybe this weekend I'll disco the stabilizer and try it out.

Yeah. I double checked that on mine and everything appears to be installed correctly. Definitely let me know what you find out, though.

Yeah. I double checked that on mine and everything appears to be installed correctly. Definitely let me know what you find out, though.

From another thread, may be worth a look?

There is only one correct way for the steering stabilizer bar to go back on. If you get it wrong, you'll be able to turn the steering wheel through out it's whole travel going left (2 complete turns), but not completely to the right (only 1.5 turns). The solution is simple, but not obvious. Unbolt the steering stabilizer plate that attaches to the frame on the passenger side and flip it over. It's a right triangle. It's oriented correctly when the 90 degree angle of the right triangle is on the passenger side, which means the leg of the triangle that's perpendicular to the frame is pointing towards the real of the vehicle and is on the passenger side. Also, in the correct orientation, the steering stablizer stud that goes through the triangular plate is pointing up. This one one of those things that made go, "What they hey?" when I was driving the car over the subsequent day or two. Threads on Mud gave me a clue to what was going on and I tried to find photos of it on the net, but the only ones I could find were for right hand drive vehicles. I studied the orientation carefully and described the orientation in detail here so if this happens to you, it won't drive you crazy trying to figure out the solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom