Steering Stabilizer Question On My 96 Lx450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I Just Replaced All 4 Shocks On My Lx450 With Oem Ones (really Notice Huge Improvement In Ride Quality!) My Question Is - I Also Want To Replace Steering Stabilizer Shock But Don't Know How To Tell If It Needs Replacing Or Not? Can Anybody Help Me Out ?? Thanks - Tim

Last edited:
the magnetguy said:
II Also Want To Replace Steering Stabilizer Shock But Don't Know How To Tell If It Needs Reolacing Or Not? Can Anybody Help Me Out ?? Thanks - Tim

Reolacing

Please clarify????????

Basically you remove the nuts, place a pickle fork between the stearing stablizer and mount and beat with a 3-4 lb slede hammer. Eventually it will pop off.

Tim, just remove it and see if there is a fair amount of resistance to movement when you try to compress the shaft. If not, then the stabilizer is no good and should be replaced.
You may able to revove only one end and test it.
Or if in doubt....just replace it, they are not terribly expensive.

flintknapper said:
Tim, just remove it and see if there is a fair amount of resistance to movement when you try to compress the shaft. If not, then the stabilizer is no good and should be replaced.
You may able to revove only one end and test it.
Thanks alot for your advice!! - I'll give that a try.

flintknapper said:

Actually the factory units are pretty stupid money. The current suggested list price is $181.73...... :eek:

I think OME versions go for about 75 bucks or so.

D-

cruiserdan said:
Actually the factory units are pretty stupid money. The current suggested list price is $181.73...... :eek:

I think OME versions go for about 75 bucks or so.

D-

EEEEEEK!, well...all the more reason to check it first. Unless there is something special about it he could buy aftermarket for 40-50 bucks.

Sounds like it will be OME for me when the time comes...but I just looked at a "rancho" unit on the net for $21.00 for 80 series Cruisers.

Last edited:
When mine finally goes I will replace it with an OME unit from Mr Slee.

I ran the factory stabilizer on mine until I went from 285 BFG/ATs to 315 MTRs (around 105k mi). With the 315s, I had more kickback in the steering on the trail (not much difference on the street) and the OME unit helped reduce that.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom