Steering column telescopic gear broken (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! I've got a lc200 2013 and my steering column is unable to move in and out. It makes this really loud noise on start and then stops after a while. So i went to the mechanic and he found the gear for the telescopic motor broken.
IMG-20211113-WA0019.jpg

20211113_095942.jpg

I saw some threads but it was a different issue, theirs were either the motor burnt or something else. Any idea where i can replace this little gear? Any help is much appreciated as I've been trying to find in scrap yards, ebay and so far nothing! It's driving me nuts.

Maybe check with a local plastic supplier to see if there is a nearby machine shop that works in plastics and can make you one? It seems like there are shops everywhere in Qatar that cater to land cruisers, there must be somebody who knows. Maybe get the whole assembly from a salvage shop? Have you checked PartsSouq (they're in UAE)? Not sure if there is still an embargo, or if Dubai would be a part of it, but I use them occasionally, and they can get things I can't get here.

Last edited:
Some 100-series and other Lexus models that have electric adjustment suffered some of the same as they got older. Maybe able to find more info there. It the steering column is in the right position and you don't care to fix it, could possibly disable the auto adjustment on startup?

could possibly disable the auto adjustment on startup?
Avoiding OP's issue is why I disabled this feature. I'd suggest people planning on keeping theirs a very long time consider doing the same. It doesn't seem to be a widespread problem but if it happens it seems to be a pain to deal with.

Avoiding OP's issue is why I disabled this feature. I'd suggest people planning on keeping theirs a very long time consider doing the same. It doesn't seem to be a widespread problem but if it happens it seems to be a pain to deal with.

Yup, good suggestion. Mine is disabled. Did so in my previous LX470 as well.

OP: if you can find someone else with an LC near you, perhaps pull their gear out and laser scan it and then get one 3D printed?

OP: if you can find someone else with an LC near you, perhaps pull their gear out and laser scan it and then get one 3D printed?
I have to chuckle, his profile says Qatar. It is Land Cruiser heaven - like the most common car on the road when I've been there. If he can't find someone with a land cruiser, he's way outside Doha.

OK, I'm an idiot. I also have a 2013 LC200 and I can't for the life of me figure out how to disable the automatic retraction of the steering wheel when the ignition is turned off. I can't find it in the Vehicle Customization menus (yes, ignition is ON while I am searching) and I don't see a physical button to press.

Any help?????

OK, I'm an idiot. I also have a 2013 LC200 and I can't for the life of me figure out how to disable the automatic retraction of the steering wheel when the ignition is turned off. I can't find it in the Vehicle Customization menus (yes, ignition is ON while I am searching) and I don't see a physical button to press.

Any help?????
It has been a long time but I seem to remember it being an option in tech stream.

I have to chuckle, his profile says Qatar. It is Land Cruiser heaven - like the most common car on the road when I've been there. If he can't find someone with a land cruiser, he's way outside Doha.
Haha thats the biggest problem. Because there are so many land cruiser out there having this problem, everyone seems to be finding for the same part! You go back to toyota and they tell you to replace the whole steering column which i find really ridiculous. My mechanic managed to pull out the connection for that motor as it was making a really loud and whiny noise. So for those guys who wishes to have it disconnected, I'll try get a photo of the wire connection and see if it can be done at home. In the mean time im still waiting for different garage to find this part. I managed to find one from Ebay, but it only suits a American LC while mine is a Japanese LC. Anyone knows if its the same thing?
I must say though! This might be a good idea! Let me see if i can get a trustworthy 3d printer nearby and who knows how many people might need it!

If anyone knows how to disable the auto tilt/telescope feature, please post.

Yes. It would be very much appreciated.

Is this part/gear/motor not available from Toyota?

The following is for a 2013 cruiser. Not sure whether other years are the same, but my gut is they are similar.

Connect to the vehicle with techstream. Enter “customize setting” button/feature.
Click on “tilt & telesco”, right arrow (at the bottom right)
“Autoaway/return function” should be set to Off, then green arrow (bottom right of that window).

FB6AF0D0-C67C-42BD-88CF-B54CE67CFE43.jpeg

93243A1F-89D6-4AD1-B75A-0621995F7610.jpeg

41B136E4-1E77-4A48-A5B5-0B4A5820AFF9.jpeg

Anyone with Techstream in the Atlanta/John's Creek area willing to meet to help me turn off this "feature"? I'll buy you a coffee or beer.

Buy a MiniVCI (OBD2-to-USB) adapter off Ebay for about $40 and it'll come wit a copy of Techstream. It's a worthwhile investment as you can use it to read all sorts of trouble codes that a basic OBD2 reader won't see. In addition if you do some of your own maintenance many of the FSM steps (like the A/T flush or brake bleeding) say to do something in Techstream.

Is this part/gear/motor not available from Toyota?
Looks like you’d have to buy the whole column which retails for about $1800 on my 2013. Discount sites have it at $1300.

A lot of money for a $3 gear.

Btw I smell a great opportunity for someone to develop a product here. @NLXTACY maybe?

Buy a MiniVCI (OBD2-to-USB) adapter off Ebay for about $40 and it'll come wit a copy of Techstream. It's a worthwhile investment as you can use it to read all sorts of trouble codes that a basic OBD2 reader won't see. In addition if you do some of your own maintenance many of the FSM steps (like the A/T flush or brake bleeding) say to do something in Techstream.
Couldn’t agree more.

Edit: for anyone reading, linuxgod's point about the specific MiniVCI cable is important. The cheaper ebay-special setups often do fine for CEL resets or code reads of different modules, but won't show live data or program TPMS codes. Most people seem to be able to get the MiniVCI's working, including myself.

I'd even consider getting an old/cheap laptop to do all this on. I don't fully trust the MiniVCI software origins.. so it is installed on a very old laptop that I use strictly for vehicle diagnostics since those software packages are never (for me) officially sourced.

Last edited:
If ANYONE can get an unabused gear to me I’ll machine a batch. Not 3D printed, CNC machined. But I need a good sample. I’ll only need it for about a week. I have to work on it while doing other stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom