Steering Box Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
Threads
I partially rebuilt a spare steering box with a Toyota kit. The rebuild consists mostly of replacing the body o-rings and the shaft seals. I had the toughest time installing the lower teflon seal and it's associated "thick" o-ring.

When it all went back together, the box itself is noticably "stiff". So my question for those of you who have rebuilt a steering box, is this normal? You can still turn it at the input shaft, but it takes much more effort. I was very careful about the tension on the sector shaft as it went back togehter. I'm hoping it's just the extra tension of the new seals.

So what says the group? Run it as is, or take it back apart?

BTW-This is about a 4 hour job for a rookie and that lower teflon seal took about 2 hours of that. I did not disassemble the power piston, but I did replace the teflon seal on the end and the body o-ring up top. I also pulled the power piston's input cover to replace the input seal and that thin inner body o-ring. You'll know what I mean if you've done it.

Thanks for any insight.

After a rebuild mine also felt a little tighter...I think its normal.

I had a heck of a time with putting the piston back in with out tearing it on that sharp lip.

Did either of you have alot of slack before rebuild?

Don't know.

I had a box that I traded someone on ih8mud an FJ40 4 core radiator for. I don't know if the box was good, bad,leaking or not. It was really dirty and funky on the outside, so my guess is that either it or it's hose was leaking.

I rebuilt it mainly for practice, because I have an 80 box that I really want to rebuild and they are basically the same.

I am wondering exactly what West Texas Offroad does for $150. That isn't a bad price at all given the clean up time, and the kit price.

The inside of my old PS gear box looked really pristine-clean, no sludge, basically good. The input oil seal and the sector shaft seal both looked dried out and worn.

Last edited:
it's been a while since i've rebuilt one of these things but a couple of things come to mind:

did you lube all teflon seals and o-rings with ATF upon reassembly?

did you measure your total preload at the input shaft after everything was back together? the total preload isn't much. should be somewhere between 5.5 and 8 INCH LBS.

if it takes more than the above torque to turn the input shaft, i'd be weary. the last thing you want is to have the steering box bind up on you once it's back in the truck. i'd personally err on the side of caution...hate to have you crash into something.

IS the guy at West TX offroad the guy to see on a steering gear rebuild?

IS the guy at West TX offroad the guy to see on a steering gear rebuild?

i asked the same question a while back and that was pretty much the consensus.

I just got two boxes rebuilt by West Texas and am very happy with the one I installed and am using now. They clean all the parts before rebuilding it and then painted them.

I just got two boxes rebuilt by West Texas and am very happy with the one I installed and am using now. They clean all the parts before rebuilding it and then painted them.

What does the the guy charge to rebuild an FJ60 steering gear.... one that's just leaking fluid if that matters.

What does the the guy charge to rebuild an FJ60 steering gear.... one that's just leaking fluid if that matters.

Bottom of this page. $140

Openads

They setup the box with no play in it. I just had to bolt it up and bleed it.

I wish I had sent him my first steering gear that went up in "smoke". Next time around I'm headed his way...(West Tx). This autozone life time warranty job I have now has only lasted one year and I wonder if the new one they sent me will last a year. Those things really make a mess when they leak and it kind of sneaks up on you , and then one day.... its bad.

THe bad thing is I really only drive this FJ60 on the weekend and here and there.

My steering gear box is at West Texas right now. I'll post pics of what it looks like when I get it back, and more info on my replacement thread, FWIW. I sent it via UPS last Monday and expect it to be back this week. I just wasn't up to rebuilding it myself if he can do it for about the cost of the OEM rebuild kit.

Mine was only leaking also.

I took my box back apart and reset the preload on the input gear. It seems better, but still stiffer than the old one.

I'm curious to run it and see if it leaks! If it does, off to West Texas Offroad!

Here is what they looked like when I got them back from West Texas.
IMG_1223.jpg

Nice, that makes my decision Kevin. Dude you didn't get it tapped for the hydro?

Dylan

I probably should of but figured I could tap it later. Also was planning on keeping one for a spare or selling it later. I might need some hydro in the future when I get some bigger tires.

The gearboxes are heavy. I shipped it Fedex ground which was the cheapest I could find with my discount.

How much did he charge you for the rebuilds? I need to send mine out.

They charge $140 + the hero's journey, for rebuild only. Since the boxes are &%!@$ heavy, prolly close to a Frankie plus four double sawbucks when done.

Got the box back today. Clean and RTG. It cost me:

$23.00 to ship to them UPS
$140.00 rebuild fee
$13.50+/- tax
$27.00/- ship back

Just over $200.00 total. Should be good for a long while.

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom